Free entry to The Hunterian Scottish Gold Exhibition
Last two weeks of the stunning Scottish Gold exhibition at the Hunterian Art Gallery.
To give more visitors a last chance to see the golden wonders, The Hunterian is offering free entry to the exhibition on the weekends of 7 and 8 and 14 and 15 June.
Showcasing beautiful specimens of gold from across Scotland, Scottish Gold explores the treasured mineral and its many uses through time, from the early Bronze Age to today.
The exhibition also highlights the natural occurrence of gold in Scotland, from Scottish rock samples bearing glittering specks to some of the largest gold nuggets collected from rivers across Scotland.
This is the last chance to see the impressive selection of gold artefacts together including the Law Farm hoard of Iron Age gold torcs; the early Bronze Age Forteviot dagger, one of the earliest objects from Scotland to be decorated with gold; a fragment of the ‘cloth of gold’ which wrapped the body of Robert the Bruce; and a section of a sheep’s jaw with gold coated teeth from Kildonan, Sutherland.
Alongside this varied range of objects is a beautiful array of gold coins and medals including student prize medals from the University of Glasgow, and examples of contemporary goldsmithing.
Admission remains £5.00 (£3.00 concession) from Tuesday to Friday.
This section: Art - what's on, Galleries
- Mind and Draw, The Space, Saturdays
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Caulders Garden Centre 22 – 25 February, 2018
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh: Making the Glasgow Style
- Henry Raeburn’s ‘Boy and Rabbit’ at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- can’t take my eyes off you – ProjectAbility
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Scotland: The Land Beneath Our Feet, ProjectAbility
- The Art of Four, book by Roger Bilcliffe, The Lighthouse
- Chozumaki, The Lighthouse Glasgow
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- ProjectAbility at Mono
- Artchitecture at the Arlington Baths Club, Collage Exhibition by Marion Gardyne, 1 – 17 December, 2017
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Arctic Walruses in Paisley, Art, Poetry, Fountain and Fun, 25 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017