Free entry to The Hunterian Scottish Gold Exhibition
Last two weeks of the stunning Scottish Gold exhibition at the Hunterian Art Gallery.
To give more visitors a last chance to see the golden wonders, The Hunterian is offering free entry to the exhibition on the weekends of 7 and 8 and 14 and 15 June.
Showcasing beautiful specimens of gold from across Scotland, Scottish Gold explores the treasured mineral and its many uses through time, from the early Bronze Age to today.
The exhibition also highlights the natural occurrence of gold in Scotland, from Scottish rock samples bearing glittering specks to some of the largest gold nuggets collected from rivers across Scotland.
This is the last chance to see the impressive selection of gold artefacts together including the Law Farm hoard of Iron Age gold torcs; the early Bronze Age Forteviot dagger, one of the earliest objects from Scotland to be decorated with gold; a fragment of the ‘cloth of gold’ which wrapped the body of Robert the Bruce; and a section of a sheep’s jaw with gold coated teeth from Kildonan, Sutherland.
Alongside this varied range of objects is a beautiful array of gold coins and medals including student prize medals from the University of Glasgow, and examples of contemporary goldsmithing.
Admission remains £5.00 (£3.00 concession) from Tuesday to Friday.
This section: Art - what's on, Galleries
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Liquid Light by Vic Rodrick, First Solo Exhibition, Veneer, Glasgow
- A Day Out, The Lighthouse
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow
- RE:search Glasgow Science Festival
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths
- E. Jane / Hardeep Pandhal Opening GI Festival, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Nnena Kalu, ProjectAbility, Glasgow
- Transatlantic connections – Hunterian exhibition brings Harvard’s historic treasures to Glasgow
- Woodlands Arts Survey & Artist Network Lunch Woodlands Workspace
- Fresh Work Springs Eternal at Thistle Gallery
- Cross-feed Night School with Dr David Luke
- ‘Spring: the music of open windows’ at Thistle Gallery
- Dr Yupin Chung: Tea Under A Willow Tree, Glasgow Art Club
- 150th Anniversary Talks: Joanne Laird & Norman Walker Scotland Street School