Encounter No 1 by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid
Exhibition open: Fri 13 July – Sun 29 July – 12 – 6pm
Open Thursdays to Sundays.
The Pipe Factory, 42 Bain Street, G40 2LA
Encounter no. 1 is a joint endeavour by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid and is intended to be the first of many collaborations. The project was selected as part of CCA’s Intermedia programme and will be hosted by The Pipe Factory.
Through sculpture, writing, performance, and video, Mabadi and Reid mobilise efforts to alert viewers and participants to the role of the body, including internal landscapes, in our digitised era.
Their new works consider the implications that digitisation and contemporary communication technologies have on the experience of being in your body and on the ways you encounter another.
Throughout Encounter no. 1, the central components of privacy – solitude, intimacy, anonymity, and reserve – resonate. Care is important. By “resuscitating the corporeal” in our new media environment they explore ways of experiencing being-there and being-with.
Outwith exhibition opening times there will be a series of performances of Mabadi and Reid’s new collaborative work, I welcome this opportunity to get to know you, stranger.
Performances of I welcome this opportunity to get to know you, stranger (booking essential*)
Friday 20 July, 11am
Saturday 21 July, 11am
Monday 23 July, 6pm
*There are four places available on each performance. To book a place, please speak to the artists while they invigilate the exhibition, or email email@example.com
The exhibition is at The Pipe Factory in the Ground Floor Gallery. The entrance is on Moncur Street through double doors and is step-free, however there is a lip at the entrance doorway.
The gallery has uneven flooring. There is a step, which is marked with hazard tape. The area beyond the step is not part of the main exhibition. There is a toilet located on the top floor of the building reached by stairs, there are no toilet facilities on the ground floor.
The exhibition text and gallery map is available in large print from the invigilator. The work within the exhibition does not include flashing lights or loud noise.
If you have any questions or would like further information please get in touch at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Last Leaf – a poem for Autumn by Catriona Malan
- Leela Soma: ‘Vermillion’ a poem for Autumn
- Shaping Their World, Thistle Gallery
- Graduate Degree Show, 2018, Glasgow School of Art
- ‘Cityscapes’ on the Horizon, Thistle Gallery
- The Great Big Mackintosh Bus Tour, Glasgow
- Rosengarten, The Hunterian
- Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
- Looking out to New Horizons… Thistle Gallery, Glasgow
- Encounter No 1 by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh Design: House For An Art Lover – Photo Gallery
- Isle of Bute. May 2018.
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow
- RE:search Glasgow Science Festival
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths
- E. Jane / Hardeep Pandhal Opening GI Festival, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow