David Mach ‘Against the Tide’ Cass Art, Glasgow
The Art Space, Cass Art, 63 – 67 Queen Street, Glasgow, G1 3EN
Installation: 3rd – 15th April, 2018
Exhibition continues: 16th – 27th May, 2018
Artist David Mach will be coming to Glasgow in spring 2018 to make a colossal installation ‘Against the Tide’ within The Art Space at Cass Art Glasgow. Using some 5 tonnes of newspapers, Mach will take over the space, constructing a tide of newspaper. Boxes seeming to contain weapons of a military nature will be embedded in the construction, appearing to float along as though swept away by the tide.
Mach says: “This piece focusses on the tide of information we receive daily, and the questions this information raises about our contemporary lives. Questions about our sexuality, gender, race, industry, money and politics. We seem to have more concerns than ever about all of these things or maybe these age old questions are just the same?”
Alongside the installation, 100 collages will be on display.
Private view on 16th April 6-8pm. Simply RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org with David Mach Private View RSVP.
Free ‘In Conversation’ event with David Mach & songwriter/performer Rab Noakes
11th April, 2018 6-8pm.
Artist David Mach will be creating a colossal installation Against the Tide within The Art Space at Cass Art Glasgow this spring, using some 5 tonnes of newspapers.
As part of the two week installation, and as a performance open to the public Mach will address these questions in conversation with the songwriter-performer Rab Noakes, discussing life, art and music, telling stories and reciting poetry.
To attend this free event, simply RSVP to email@example.com with ‘In Conversation RSVP’ in the subject line.
Wednesday 11th April, 6-8pm
Admission is FREE
About David Mach
David Mach is one of the UK’s most successful and respected award-winning artists, known for his dynamic and imaginative large scale collages, sculptures and installations using diverse media, including coat hangers, matches, newspapers and many other materials. The Scotsman describes his work as ‘big on gesture and big in proportion, it demands your attentions and gets it’. Mach has exhibited in solo and group exhibitions around the world including London, New York, Los Angeles, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Hakone, Tel Aviv and Warsaw. www.davidmach.com
About Rab Noakes
Internationally acclaimed songwriter/performer Rab Noakes, like David Mach, spent his formative years in East Fife. For over 50 years though, his life in Music & Song has taken him far’n’wide and he has recorded over 20 albums. In 2017 he turned 70 and is currently completing a new album which will be available later in 2018. This release will be accompanied by many appearances, solo and in creative collaborations. He remains extremely prolific and in good voice. As well as these activities, he is currently working on a series of essays called ‘Reunited with my luggage’. www.rabnoakes.com
David and Rab will address questions raised by the exhibition, discussing life, art and music, telling stories and reciting poetry. Full details and to book.
The Art Space, Cass Art Glasgow
Installation 3rd – 15th April (Drop by to see the installation developing).
Private View 6-8pm Monday 16th April
In Conversation: David Mach & Rab Noakes 6-8pm 11th April
Exhibition continues until 27th May 2018
- Many Singers Many Songs, Maryhill, 24 November, 2018
- West Dunbartonshire Christmas Toy Appeal
- Six and a Tanner, One Man Play by Rony Bridges
- Tai Chi Classes at Hillhead Sports Club
- Claire McFall, Creative Conversations
- Cultural Diversity Showcase, The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Black History Month
- “Freedom Bound” – Slavery in Scotland Discussion at GOMA
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Freedom Bound – Escaping Slavery in Scotland
- Dublin Film Festival celebrating New Scottish Cinema
- Glasgow Christmas Lights Switch On
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre at The Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Lady Vengeance at Glasgow Film Theatre
- John Carpenter: Master of Horror at Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Handmaiden – GFT
- A night of music and song in support of Cure Claire’s Cancer
- Linda Jaxson, Unchain My Heart, St Louis Partick
- We See The World Differently Screening 24 October, 2018
- The Big Day of KinDness 23 October, 2018
- My 20th Century Glasgow Film Theatre
- Standing on Their Shoulders, UK Premier, Africa in Motion Film Festival