David Keenan and Chris McQueer in Conversation
Monday, 25 February, 2019, 8 p.m. – 11 p.m.
To celebrate the launch of ‘For The Good Times’, David Keenan and Chris McQueer will be in conversation on February 25th, 2019 at Mono. Q&A, chaired by Alistair Braidwood (Scots Whay Hae!).
David Keenan is the author of ‘For The Good Times’ (Faber & Faber) and ‘This Is Memorial Device’ (Faber & Faber)
Based on apocryphal stories he was told by his family, ‘For The Good Times’ plunges the reader into the dark night of Belfast in the 1970s: an era of military terror and sectarian violence, of occult visions and religious intensity.
Sammy and his three friends live in the Ardoyne, an impoverished, predominantly Catholic area of north Belfast. They dream of a Free State, and their methods for achieving this are uncompromising. When the hard edge of the decade starts to reveal its true paranoid colours, Sammy finds himself increasingly isolated, especially after bizarre and gruesome away days in Glasgow and London.
For The Good Times unpacks any dewy-eyed romance associated with the Troubles with visionary depth and power.
A 20-something year old writer from Glasgow. Chris kept his writing a secret from his friends and family for several months before sharing work through Twitter (@ChrisMcQueer_). Since then he has gone from strength to strength and has earned a reputation as ‘That Guy Oan Twitter Who Writes Short Stories’.
‘Every generation a writer comes along who provides an unmistakable injection of working-class energy into Scottish Literature, and gets people usually alienated by books intae it again. The effervescent and hilarious Chris Mcqueer is the man of the moment’ – Alan Bisset.
Tickets £3 (Buy online)
Mono Cafe Bar, 10 –12 King Street, Glasgow G1 5RB
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Creative Conversations – Novelist Jacob Ross
- The Raft Glasgow Film Theatre
- Poetry at Inn Deep
- Aye Write: Louise Welsh Introduces… Temi Oh & Bridget Collins
- Aye Write: Helena Kennedy QC
- Aye Write: Stuart Cosgrove & Ken McNab
- Aye Write: Frank Quitely The Comics That Made Me
- Tracey Thorn at Aye Write
- Open Mic Tuesdays at Queen Margaret Union
- David Keenan and Chris McQueer in Conversation
- Lorna Goodison, Poet Laureate of Jamaica in Conversation with Louise Welsh
- Clochoderick Press Presents an Evening of Poetry and Spoken Word
- Women in Islam Exhibition
- Book Launch: Handle with Care and other stories by Ann MacLaren
- Tandem at The Tron
- OK Fest – Kilmacolm’s Festival of Sound
- Sisters and Seamonsters – Chiara Berardelli
- Creative Conversations: Mark Cousins
- St Mungo’s Mirrorball Mirrorball Poetry Showcase February, 2019
- Launch of Calum Rodger’s new poetry pamphlet PORTS