Dave Arcari album launch – Live At Memorial Hall
Jim and I had a brilliant time this evening (Thursday, 24 August, 2017) at the Scottish Music Centre for the media launch of Dave Arcari’s new album ‘Live at Memorial Hall’. Sponsored by Glengoyne Distillery, it was a very enjoyable event with delicious nibbles served along with nips of Glengoyne and kilt lifters, Glengoyne, Drambuie and lime.
A very good humoured crowd enjoyed Dave and, his partner, Margaret’s hospitality and it was a good opportunity to catch up with music-loving friends and Dave Arcari fans. We chatted with Paul Kerr of Blabber and Smoke, the musician Duncan McCrone and his wife Irene and the photographer Alistair Mulhearn. Jim was pleased to run into John McNeil, the vocalist with the punk band The Zips, whom he played with at gigs in Nice ‘n’ Sleazy a few decades back.
I also enjoyed a blether with the lovely kilted waitress Kirstin Neave, happy to sing the praises of Glengoyne Distillery and Strathclyde University where she’s a student.
Dave Arcari – Scottish Alternative Blues
But, of course, this was all in the run up to the main man . . .
Dave was his usual flamboyant self, perfectly made for performing the entertainment was superb as he treated us to a selection of new songs from the album. This included: ‘Givers and Takers’, which will also be released as a single, plus some old favourites. I enjoyed both the music and the anecdotes – ‘Devil’s Left Hand’ which Dave played when he supported Steve Earle and ‘Good Friend Blues’ the first song Dave wrote – he spoke of his admiration for Mississippi Hill Country Blues musicians and finished with ‘See Me Laughing’ as a tribute to them.
The set was followed by a short Q and A and it was fun hearing how the album was recorded live at the Buchanan Memorial Hall, Milton of Buchanan and the creation of the striking cover – designed from photographs taken there.
We hung around for more socialising and the raffle – we won a bottle of ten year old Glengoyne – specially labelled to promote Live At Memorial Hall – available now to pre-order.
Hometown Album Launch
You can catch Dave’s Hometown Album Launch at Broadcast, Glasgow, on 1st September, 2017.
See also full schedule of: Tour Dates
This section: Gig Guide, Music Reviews
- Amelia White, Sounds in the Suburbs, The Doublet
- Seven Song Club: XAN TYLER / BARRY NEILSON The Tron
- All Dayer OranMor, West End Festival 2018
- The 5th Annual Champipunship, OranMor
- Glasgow Jazz Festival 2018
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Gina Chavez, The Doublet, Sounds in the Suburbs
- Craft Cafe Summer Ball at Pearce Institute
- Lazy Saturday Afternoon, Friends of the River Kelvin at West End Festival
- Luca Manning, The Blue Arrow
- Take A Walk On The Weill Side, West End Festival 2018
- Scottish Fiddle Orchestra in Concert, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall September, 2018
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- PCL presents Jerron ‘Blind Boy’ Paxton, CCA
- Fiesta x Fold Festival, Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow 2018
- The Luthiers Concert, West End Festival
- Heidi Talbot and John McCusker at Cottiers
- Kittlin at Tchai Ovna
- The Electrics, 30 Anniversary, The Bungalow, Paisley
- The Great May Day Cabaret, Night for Chris Bartter, OranMor