Dance with a Stranger, GFT
24 July, 2019 – 5.55 p.m.
Champions of women in cinema, Reclaim The Frame present this classic British noir starring Miranda Richardson and written by Shelagh Delaney (A Taste of Honey). It tells the true story of Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be hanged in Britain following her conviction for the murder of her lover, David Blakeley. Ellis’s murder trial in the 1950s became a national obsession which later informed the debates leading to the abolishment of the death penalty in 1965. Dance With A Stranger explores what it means to commit a ‘crime of passion’ and how class and gender can inform the criminal justice system.
Followed by a discussion between Mia Bays (Director-At-Large of Birds’ Eye View and an Oscar-winning producer), Hannah McGill and Dr Susan Batchelor, from the Scottish Centre for Crime and Justice Research, a criminologist specialising in women’s imprisonment.
GFT, 12 Rose Street, G3 6RB
Post Screening Workshop with Be Manzini
8.30 p.m. at Glasgow Art Club, 185 Bath Street, G2 4HU (five minute walk from GFT)
In addition, the award-winning poet and creative writing facilitator Be Manzini will host a post-screening workshop at Glasgow Art Club (185 Bath St) from 20.30, where the audience can explore their own objects of obsession, through words and images. Complimentary tea and coffee will be served as the workshop takes place.
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Through Black Spruce, GFT
- BlacKkKlansman, GFT
- Chic-raq GFT
- A Faithful Man, GFT
- Pain and Glory, GFT
- Matchbox Cineclub Weird Weekend at CCA Glasgow
- Gaza GFT
- Preview: For Sama GFT plus Q & A
- Canada Now, GFT
- Take One Action, GFT
- Kaleidoscope Realms, Matchbox Cine Club
- The Farewell Opening Gala GYFF 2019
- Drag Kids, GFT Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Careers in Film – Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2019
- Five Seasons: The Gardens of Piet Oudolf at GFT
- Africa in Motion Film Club: Kuxa Kanema CCA
- Apocalypse Now: Final Cut plus recorded Q and A GFT
- Adoption GFT
- Edge of the Knife GFT