Cuba: a photographic exhibition by Iain Clark. Jan 30th – Feb 14th, 2016 at The Thistle Gallery
The Thistle Gallery is privileged to be hosting a remarkable exhibition by Glasgow based photographic artist Iain Clark. This unique body of work is the result of Iain’s visit last year to the Caribbean island of Cuba.
With the announcement last year that Cuba and the United States are to re-establish Embassies in each other’s countries this collection of 35 images gives viewers an insight into an island on the brink of real change.
Said Iain: ‘I wanted to experience Cuba as it was before the 21st century invaded. Cuba is unlike anywhere else in the world and my images aim to capture its uniqueness.
‘It’s a photographer’s paradise; the buildings in Havana appear to crumble before your eyes, the classic American cars on the road showcase the ‘make do and mend mechanics’ and you can’t walk far without the iconic Che Guevara looming over you. The Cuba which appears in this collection at the Thistle Gallery is disappearing day by day.
‘This Exhibition documents a way of life which, in a few year’s time, will only exist in memories. This bygone way of life will be laid to rest in the pages of history books. My images aim to capture a moment in time, preserving this freeze frame of Cuba forever.’
Iain’s work is held in the permanent collection of the Scottish National Portrait Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery, London, as well as private collections across the world.
The Exhibition runs from Saturday, January 30th until Sunday, February 14th. 2016
The Thistle Gallery,
Scottish Contemporary Art,
56 Park Road, Glasgow, G4 9JF
TEL: 0141 334 3444
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Caulders Garden Centre 22 – 25 February, 2018
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh: Making the Glasgow Style
- Henry Raeburn’s ‘Boy and Rabbit’ at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- can’t take my eyes off you – ProjectAbility
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Scotland: The Land Beneath Our Feet, ProjectAbility
- The Art of Four, book by Roger Bilcliffe, The Lighthouse
- Chozumaki, The Lighthouse Glasgow
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- ProjectAbility at Mono
- Artchitecture at the Arlington Baths Club, Collage Exhibition by Marion Gardyne, 1 – 17 December, 2017
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Arctic Walruses in Paisley, Art, Poetry, Fountain and Fun, 25 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Archifon IV, Cryptic Sonica, University of Glasgow Chapel 1 – 5 November, 2017