Cuba: a photographic exhibition by Iain Clark. Jan 30th – Feb 14th, 2016 at The Thistle Gallery
The Thistle Gallery is privileged to be hosting a remarkable exhibition by Glasgow based photographic artist Iain Clark. This unique body of work is the result of Iain’s visit last year to the Caribbean island of Cuba.
With the announcement last year that Cuba and the United States are to re-establish Embassies in each other’s countries this collection of 35 images gives viewers an insight into an island on the brink of real change.
Said Iain: ‘I wanted to experience Cuba as it was before the 21st century invaded. Cuba is unlike anywhere else in the world and my images aim to capture its uniqueness.
‘It’s a photographer’s paradise; the buildings in Havana appear to crumble before your eyes, the classic American cars on the road showcase the ‘make do and mend mechanics’ and you can’t walk far without the iconic Che Guevara looming over you. The Cuba which appears in this collection at the Thistle Gallery is disappearing day by day.
‘This Exhibition documents a way of life which, in a few year’s time, will only exist in memories. This bygone way of life will be laid to rest in the pages of history books. My images aim to capture a moment in time, preserving this freeze frame of Cuba forever.’
Iain’s work is held in the permanent collection of the Scottish National Portrait Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery, London, as well as private collections across the world.
The Exhibition runs from Saturday, January 30th until Sunday, February 14th. 2016
The Thistle Gallery,
Scottish Contemporary Art,
56 Park Road, Glasgow, G4 9JF
TEL: 0141 334 3444
- Colonel Mustard and the Dijon 5, Barrowland, After Party at the Art School
- Social Bite Help the Homeless this Christmas
- White Christmas, GFT
- Sorry To Bother You GFT
- Best Before Bed Silent Movies, Citizen M Glasgow
- Jingle All The Way, GFT
- Festive Family Shindig, Fundraiser Cure Claire’s Cancer
- Batman Returns Burnt Church Film Club
- The Muppet Christmas Carol, GFT
- Frozen Sing-a-long GFT
- Won’t You Be My Neighbour, GFT
- Home Alone GFT
- Pity Party Film Club, Cry Baby CCA
- Singles Christmas Night at Sleazy’s – 45 rpm party night
- Elf and Trading Places Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Nae Pasaran GFT
- Christmas Caroling
- Support Glasgow Film Theatre
- Gavin Sutherland ‘ Swinging Christmas’ at Glasgow City Halls
- First Events or Glasgow Film Festival 2019 Announced