Cuba: a photographic exhibition by Iain Clark. Jan 30th – Feb 14th, 2016 at The Thistle Gallery
The Thistle Gallery is privileged to be hosting a remarkable exhibition by Glasgow based photographic artist Iain Clark. This unique body of work is the result of Iain’s visit last year to the Caribbean island of Cuba.
With the announcement last year that Cuba and the United States are to re-establish Embassies in each other’s countries this collection of 35 images gives viewers an insight into an island on the brink of real change.
Said Iain: ‘I wanted to experience Cuba as it was before the 21st century invaded. Cuba is unlike anywhere else in the world and my images aim to capture its uniqueness.
‘It’s a photographer’s paradise; the buildings in Havana appear to crumble before your eyes, the classic American cars on the road showcase the ‘make do and mend mechanics’ and you can’t walk far without the iconic Che Guevara looming over you. The Cuba which appears in this collection at the Thistle Gallery is disappearing day by day.
‘This Exhibition documents a way of life which, in a few year’s time, will only exist in memories. This bygone way of life will be laid to rest in the pages of history books. My images aim to capture a moment in time, preserving this freeze frame of Cuba forever.’
Iain’s work is held in the permanent collection of the Scottish National Portrait Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery, London, as well as private collections across the world.
The Exhibition runs from Saturday, January 30th until Sunday, February 14th. 2016
The Thistle Gallery,
Scottish Contemporary Art,
56 Park Road, Glasgow, G4 9JF
TEL: 0141 334 3444
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Liquid Light by Vic Rodrick, First Solo Exhibition, Veneer, Glasgow
- A Day Out, The Lighthouse
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow
- RE:search Glasgow Science Festival
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths
- E. Jane / Hardeep Pandhal Opening GI Festival, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Nnena Kalu, ProjectAbility, Glasgow
- Transatlantic connections – Hunterian exhibition brings Harvard’s historic treasures to Glasgow
- Woodlands Arts Survey & Artist Network Lunch Woodlands Workspace
- Fresh Work Springs Eternal at Thistle Gallery
- Cross-feed Night School with Dr David Luke
- ‘Spring: the music of open windows’ at Thistle Gallery
- Dr Yupin Chung: Tea Under A Willow Tree, Glasgow Art Club
- 150th Anniversary Talks: Joanne Laird & Norman Walker Scotland Street School