Cuba: a photographic exhibition by Iain Clark. Jan 30th – Feb 14th, 2016 at The Thistle Gallery
The Thistle Gallery is privileged to be hosting a remarkable exhibition by Glasgow based photographic artist Iain Clark. This unique body of work is the result of Iain’s visit last year to the Caribbean island of Cuba.
With the announcement last year that Cuba and the United States are to re-establish Embassies in each other’s countries this collection of 35 images gives viewers an insight into an island on the brink of real change.
Said Iain: ‘I wanted to experience Cuba as it was before the 21st century invaded. Cuba is unlike anywhere else in the world and my images aim to capture its uniqueness.
‘It’s a photographer’s paradise; the buildings in Havana appear to crumble before your eyes, the classic American cars on the road showcase the ‘make do and mend mechanics’ and you can’t walk far without the iconic Che Guevara looming over you. The Cuba which appears in this collection at the Thistle Gallery is disappearing day by day.
‘This Exhibition documents a way of life which, in a few year’s time, will only exist in memories. This bygone way of life will be laid to rest in the pages of history books. My images aim to capture a moment in time, preserving this freeze frame of Cuba forever.’
Iain’s work is held in the permanent collection of the Scottish National Portrait Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery, London, as well as private collections across the world.
The Exhibition runs from Saturday, January 30th until Sunday, February 14th. 2016
The Thistle Gallery,
Scottish Contemporary Art,
56 Park Road, Glasgow, G4 9JF
TEL: 0141 334 3444
- Denise Noone Bathing Bells at Govanhill Baths review by Pat Byrne
- Introduction to Study at Glasgow School of Art
- Brushes With War, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- Bathing Bells Exhibition, Govanhill Baths
- Young Talent Exhibition, ProjectAbility Glasgow
- Shaping Their World, Thistle Gallery
- Graduate Degree Show, 2018, Glasgow School of Art
- Museums at Night, Glasgow, October, 2018
- Women’s Suffrage in Glasgow Exhibition, The Mitchell
- Talk of the Steamie Conference, Govanhill
- Cryptic Sonica in Glasgow 2018 – Portal, Pivot and Visaurihelix
- ‘Cityscapes’ on the Horizon, Thistle Gallery
- The Great Big Mackintosh Bus Tour, Glasgow
- Rosengarten, The Hunterian
- Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
- Looking out to New Horizons… Thistle Gallery, Glasgow
- Encounter No 1 by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid
- HYPERMARKET – ART CAR BOOT, SWG3 2018
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club, Summer Show 2018, Ardarden Farm Shop
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend