Creative Conversations Playwright Douglas Maxwell
Monday 27 November
1 – 2 PM University Chapel
Free & Open to the Public
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Douglas Maxwell has been one of the most popular and produced playwrights in Scotland for over a decade.
His work in the last few years includes Promises Promises (which transferred to New York under the title The Promise in 2011, where it earned a Drama Desk Award Nomination for the actress Joanna Tope); a 10th Anniversary revival of the award winning Decky Does a Bronco; a version of Wedekind’s Spring Awakening for the Traverse; The Miracle Man for the NTS, and Small Town, written with DC Jackson and Johnny McKnight for Random Accomplice.
His short play, A Respectable Widow Takes To Vulgarity was read as part of The Traverse Theatre’s “Dream Play” series during the Edinburgh Fringe 2012. He has written two musicals: Watertight, with music by Richard Taylor, for the Royal Conservatoire Scotland and The Bookie, with music by Aly Macrae, for Cumbernauld Theatre.
His work for young people includes Too Fast (which was performed by 25 Youth theatres as part of the NT New Connections Festival 2011), Prom, Mancub, Helmet and The Mother Ship (which won the Brian Way Award for Best Play For Young People in 2009). A collection of his work for young people has just been published by Oberon Books.
His plays have been performed in translation in Germany, Norway, Hong Kong, New York, Chicago, Holland, Sweden, South Korea and Japan.
Books by featured authors will be for sale in John Smiths bookshop.
- Fiona Burns Mindfulness Course Hillhead Sports Club
- Shake Hands With The Devil, CCA
- Africa in Motion – I Still Hide To Smoke, GFT
- Calibre, GFT
- St Andrew’s Torch Light Parade Glasgow West End
- A Woman Captured GFT
- The Handmaiden – GFT
- Glasgow Havana Film Festival 2018, GFT
- Estonia Now at GFT
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2018
- Standing on Their Shoulders, UK Premier, Africa in Motion Film Festival
- DUNOON FILM FESTIVAL 2018 ANNOUNCES FULL PROGRAMME
- John Carpenter: Master of Horror at Glasgow Film Theatre
- I Remember It Well Symposium, Paisley
- Samhain Lantern Walk Glasgow
- We See The World Differently Screening 24 October, 2018
- The Muse at St Louis – A Night of Justice
- The Duncan McCrone Band, Gartmore Village Hall
- Great News: Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA) Re-opening
- Teenage Superstars, GFT