Cowboy Calypso, WomanSaid and Stephen EvEns
The Rum Shack, 657 – 659 Pollokshaws Road, G41 2AG
Friday, 1 March, 2019, 7 – 10 p.m.
Cowboy Calypso is a collaboration between Brooklyn, Glasgow and London musicians. They’ve all been in bands you (probably) love, and one day they all said: “Let’s get stupid and make a record in a week and then celebrate with all of our friends!” So they did just that at Green Door Studios in Glasgow. And what they got is catchy songs, surrealist strains against sing-along chants, folk-music-nonsense, funky synths and pedal steel. You be the judge. Come one, come all!
WomanSaid are self-described as ‘seedy electronica’, consisting of 2 basses, electronic drums, synths and dark vocals. Inspired by the avant-garde that influenced the electronic music scene of the late ’70’s and early ’80’s. https://optimomusic.bandcamp.com/album/majick
Stephen EvEns has spent most of his days touring here and there with minor indie celebrity. He has for now shunned the tour bus lifestyle for a wander through his own songbook for a change. The tunes are beautiful, the words are ugly. I don’t know why you don’t think that’s a good thing?
Friday, March 1, 7pm-10pm *please note EARLY SHOW*
£3 at the door, or free if you can recite all of Strother Martin’s films in reverse order.
This section: Gig Guide
Filed under: Gig Guide
- Electric Honey Records Showcase – OranMor
- Some Distant Day with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Carnival of the Dark Arts
- Sid Griffin and Peter Case Doublet Bar
- Bone Idle Bros, Starry Skies and Slipper Elm The Britannica Panopticon
- West End Festival: The Luthiers’ Concert Websters Theatre
- André Krengel & Roland Krause, Websters Theatre
- West End Festival: Songbird: Ellyn Oliver Sings Eva Cassidy
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham, Cottiers
- Hayes Carll plus Travis Linnvale, Cottiers
- Boo Hewerdine and Darden Smith, The Admiral Bar
- Jess Klein and Mike June, The Doublet Glasgow
- Choral Concert St Marys Episcopal Cathedral
- The Marbles and Friends Live
- Seven Song Club, Lynnie Carson , Rebecca Jordan and Bearpit Brothers
- The Carlton 3, Peat Stew at The Shandon Belles The Buttery
- Jen Fairgrieve at Tchai Ovna House of Tea
- Songs in the South: David Starr, Martha L Healy and Al Shields
- St Louis Jam Sessions