Cowboy Calypso, WomanSaid and Stephen EvEns
The Rum Shack, 657 – 659 Pollokshaws Road, G41 2AG
Friday, 1 March, 2019, 7 – 10 p.m.
Cowboy Calypso is a collaboration between Brooklyn, Glasgow and London musicians. They’ve all been in bands you (probably) love, and one day they all said: “Let’s get stupid and make a record in a week and then celebrate with all of our friends!” So they did just that at Green Door Studios in Glasgow. And what they got is catchy songs, surrealist strains against sing-along chants, folk-music-nonsense, funky synths and pedal steel. You be the judge. Come one, come all!
WomanSaid are self-described as ‘seedy electronica’, consisting of 2 basses, electronic drums, synths and dark vocals. Inspired by the avant-garde that influenced the electronic music scene of the late ’70’s and early ’80’s. https://optimomusic.bandcamp.com/album/majick
Stephen EvEns has spent most of his days touring here and there with minor indie celebrity. He has for now shunned the tour bus lifestyle for a wander through his own songbook for a change. The tunes are beautiful, the words are ugly. I don’t know why you don’t think that’s a good thing?
Friday, March 1, 7pm-10pm *please note EARLY SHOW*
£3 at the door, or free if you can recite all of Strother Martin’s films in reverse order.
This section: Gig Guide
Filed under: Gig Guide
- Edwyn Collins QMU Glasgow
- Propaganda – Indie Club Night, QMU
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- G20 Festival GBX Fundraiser
- Starry Skies, Warren and Heather at Old Hairdressers
- Broken Chanter Album Launch, CCA
- Michael Simons at Partick Folk Club
- Pollokshields Proposes Exhibition Launch
- Yellow Road – Folk on the Fringe
- Barras Fest Glasgow 2019
- Twilight in the Crypt Glasgow Cathedral Festival
- Glasgow R&B Society: Rab Noakes & Fraser Speirs Cottiers
- No Serco Evictions Fundraiser at McChuills
- The Scottish Fiddle Orchestra – Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
- JJ Gilmour and Adriana Spina at CCA
- Music Broth Summer Fundraising Gig
- The Blue Arrow 59:60 Celebrating the Year that Changed Jazz
- Farzane Zamen in Concert
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Songs of Love and Freedom, Kelvingrove Bandstand