Cowboy Calypso, WomanSaid and Stephen EvEns
The Rum Shack, 657 – 659 Pollokshaws Road, G41 2AG
Friday, 1 March, 2019, 7 – 10 p.m.
Cowboy Calypso is a collaboration between Brooklyn, Glasgow and London musicians. They’ve all been in bands you (probably) love, and one day they all said: “Let’s get stupid and make a record in a week and then celebrate with all of our friends!” So they did just that at Green Door Studios in Glasgow. And what they got is catchy songs, surrealist strains against sing-along chants, folk-music-nonsense, funky synths and pedal steel. You be the judge. Come one, come all!
WomanSaid are self-described as ‘seedy electronica’, consisting of 2 basses, electronic drums, synths and dark vocals. Inspired by the avant-garde that influenced the electronic music scene of the late ’70’s and early ’80’s. https://optimomusic.bandcamp.com/album/majick
Stephen EvEns has spent most of his days touring here and there with minor indie celebrity. He has for now shunned the tour bus lifestyle for a wander through his own songbook for a change. The tunes are beautiful, the words are ugly. I don’t know why you don’t think that’s a good thing?
Friday, March 1, 7pm-10pm *please note EARLY SHOW*
£3 at the door, or free if you can recite all of Strother Martin’s films in reverse order.
This section: Gig Guide
Filed under: Gig Guide
- Hannah Aldridge and the Goat Roper Band
- Ras Digby (Sir Jessus Soundsystem) The Rum Shack
- Love Music Hate Racism at The Blue Arrow
- Living with Words, Finn’s Place
- Knickerbocker Glory Glasgow University Feminist Society
- International Womens Day The Blue Arrow
- The Opera Boys Cottiers
- St Andrews Chamber Orchestra at Cottiers
- Jack Lukeman OranMor
- Threebop plus Little Acres at The Blue Arrow
- Sarah MacDougall, The Doublet
- Black Star Jackals EP Launch
- Sarah Jane Scouten The Doublet
- Cowboy Calypso, WomanSaid and Stephen EvEns
- New Candys + Kundalini Genie & Gelatine
- Open Mic Tuesdays at Queen Margaret Union
- Lola in Slacks Single Launch at Websters
- Dave Arcari and Andres Roots
- Pucinni’s La Bohème in Paisley
- The Wellgreen, Stilton and Big Hogg