In Conversation with Cecilia Stenbom, CCA, Glasgow
Monday 5 February 2018
7pm, Free but ticketed, Cinema
Book online / 0141 352 4900
Since graduating from the MFA programme at Glasgow School of Art, Cecilia’s work has focused on media-saturated, consumer-driven everyday environments and how they affect human response, notions of identity, behaviour and interaction.
This event debuts Rules of Engagement, a new film by Cecilia three stories seemingly entirely unconnected to one another.
Jack, the black sheep, is attending a family gathering; Robin is trying to integrate into a new social group and Nadia is failing to blend in with her conservative work colleagues.
What connects each of these people and their stories is the human desire to ‘belong’, to be a part of something, to both blend in and be seen. Without a single moment of dialogue the film is based on recorded accounts of “outsider-dom”, this film not only tells the stories of Jack, Robin and Nadia but is the director’s comment on how every day norms and social etiquette define ‘who belongs and who doesn’t’, who is ‘one of us’ and who is ‘the other’, whether someone ‘fits’ or not.
Rules of Engagement is a mix between dramatic re-enactment and chamber play of encounter and emotion, written and directed by Cecilia Stenbom.
As part of this event, two shorts by Cecilia will be screened alongside a Q &A and discussion.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Film Listings at GFT, March 2018
- Film Screening – Moonlight and Carol double feature, LGBT History Month QMU
- The Shape of Water, GFT
- Call Me By Your Name, GFT
- Soundtracking, Edith Bowman with Lynne Ramsay, GFT
- Phantom Thread GFT
- The Florida Project, GFT
- Sweet Country, Cineworld Glasgow
- Glasgow Film Festival 2018 at CCA
- The Breadwinner, GFT
- Working Girl, GFF 2018
- Glasgow Film Festival 2018 – Closing Gala: Felipe Bustos Sierra’s Nae Pasaran
- FrightFest, Glasgow Film Festival: challenge to aspiring Scottish filmmakers
- Glasgow Film Festival 2018 – Catch Some Amazing Guests
- LGBT History Month, Film Screening and Discussion, STUC
- The Ballad of Lefty Brown, GFT
- 4 at GFT
- GFF 2018 Kinning Park Carnival: Bride and Prejudice, Kinning Park Complex
- Young Films Foundation, CCA
- Loveless, GFT