In Conversation with Cecilia Stenbom, CCA, Glasgow
Monday 5 February 2018
7pm, Free but ticketed, Cinema
Book online / 0141 352 4900
Since graduating from the MFA programme at Glasgow School of Art, Cecilia’s work has focused on media-saturated, consumer-driven everyday environments and how they affect human response, notions of identity, behaviour and interaction.
This event debuts Rules of Engagement, a new film by Cecilia three stories seemingly entirely unconnected to one another.
Jack, the black sheep, is attending a family gathering; Robin is trying to integrate into a new social group and Nadia is failing to blend in with her conservative work colleagues.
What connects each of these people and their stories is the human desire to ‘belong’, to be a part of something, to both blend in and be seen. Without a single moment of dialogue the film is based on recorded accounts of “outsider-dom”, this film not only tells the stories of Jack, Robin and Nadia but is the director’s comment on how every day norms and social etiquette define ‘who belongs and who doesn’t’, who is ‘one of us’ and who is ‘the other’, whether someone ‘fits’ or not.
Rules of Engagement is a mix between dramatic re-enactment and chamber play of encounter and emotion, written and directed by Cecilia Stenbom.
As part of this event, two shorts by Cecilia will be screened alongside a Q &A and discussion.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Red Squirrel Press, Scottish Writers Centre
- Word Jazzology, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Jingle All The Way, GFT
- Remembering Glasgow’s Forgotten Women
- Been So Long GFT
- A Letter to Nan – women-only creative writing workshop
- Glasgow Feminist Arts Festival, CCA
- Liam McIlvanney, Creative Conversations University of Glasgow
- Glasgow Scribes (calligraphy).
- The Slow Readers Club at The Art School
- Book Week Scotland: Worlds of Ursula K. Le Guin Documentary GFT
- Book Week Scotland 2018 – Events at Arlington Baths Club
- Oklahoma, Kings Theatre Glasgow
- It Is Easy To Be Dead, OranMor
- Poetry at Inn Deep with Cat Hepburn
- Dance Along Movie, Trolls
- The Parlotones at OranMor
- Book Week Scotland: Denise Mina and Liam McIlvaney
- Take 2. Belle and Sebastian 3 Friends Forever, GFT
- Widows GFT