Claire McFall, Creative Conversations
Creative Conversations University of Glasgow
Monday, 15 October, 2018, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
NOVELIST CLAIRE MCFALL
University of Glasgow Memorial Chapel, University of Glasgow, West Quadrangle, Gilbert Scott Building, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Claire McFall’s first book, Ferryman, is a love story which retells the ancient Greek myth of Charon, the ferryman of Hades who transported souls to the Underworld. The novel has been Shortlisted for the Scottish Children’s Book Awards and the Grampian Children’s Book Awards, long-listed for the Branford Boase Award and the UKLA (UK Literary Association) Book Awards, as well as being nominated for the Carnegie Medal. The novel is a best-seller in China, selling just over a million copies since June 2015.
Her second novel, Bombmaker, is a YA dystopian thriller in which the main character Lizzie struggles to survive in a London dominated by gangs and plagued by terrorism. Black Cairn Point, Claire’s third novel, is a paranormal thriller about a camping trip gone wrong. When all of her friends suffer the wrath of a mysterious entity, only Heather is left to take the blame. Black Cairn Point won the first Scottish Teenage Book Prize.
As part of the on-going Creative Conversation speaker series, novelist Claire McFall comes to campus to chat about her writing. Bring your lunch and burning questions!
Sponsored by the Ferguson Bequest and programmed by Creative Writing at University of Glasgow.
- Book Launch: Welcome to the Heady Heights by David Ross
- Woodlands Community Garden’s 9th Birthday Celebration
- Starchild Art for Africa with McTears Auctioneers and The Hidden Lane Gallery
- Frank Turner at Aye Write
- Lynn Howarth Featured Artist at The Glasgow Gallery
- Aye Write! Open Mic with Cheeky Besom Productions
- Andrew O’Hagan Creative Conversations
- Launch of The Blame Game C.J. Cooke
- Hannah Aldridge and the Goat Roper Band
- Music Broth Grow With Music Youth Project
- Aye Write: Emily Cutts with Carol Craig
- Ras Digby (Sir Jessus Soundsystem) The Rum Shack
- Girl GFT
- Astro Black GSFF at CCA
- Glasgow Short Film Festival 2019
- First Reels 2: Scottish Women Filmmakers of the 1990s CCA
- Wuthering Heights, Glasgow Film Theatre
- GSFF19 | Blueprint: Scottish Independent Shorts
- Accents, Glasgow Short Film Festival 2019
- Us, Glasgow Film Theatre