Claire McFall, Creative Conversations
Creative Conversations University of Glasgow
Monday, 15 October, 2018, 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
NOVELIST CLAIRE MCFALL
University of Glasgow Memorial Chapel, University of Glasgow, West Quadrangle, Gilbert Scott Building, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Claire McFall’s first book, Ferryman, is a love story which retells the ancient Greek myth of Charon, the ferryman of Hades who transported souls to the Underworld. The novel has been Shortlisted for the Scottish Children’s Book Awards and the Grampian Children’s Book Awards, long-listed for the Branford Boase Award and the UKLA (UK Literary Association) Book Awards, as well as being nominated for the Carnegie Medal. The novel is a best-seller in China, selling just over a million copies since June 2015.
Her second novel, Bombmaker, is a YA dystopian thriller in which the main character Lizzie struggles to survive in a London dominated by gangs and plagued by terrorism. Black Cairn Point, Claire’s third novel, is a paranormal thriller about a camping trip gone wrong. When all of her friends suffer the wrath of a mysterious entity, only Heather is left to take the blame. Black Cairn Point won the first Scottish Teenage Book Prize.
As part of the on-going Creative Conversation speaker series, novelist Claire McFall comes to campus to chat about her writing. Bring your lunch and burning questions!
Sponsored by the Ferguson Bequest and programmed by Creative Writing at University of Glasgow.
- Novelist Sarah Moss Creative Conversations
- Women and Rent Strikes Red Clydeside at the Mitchell Library
- Free Online Course, University of Glasgow: Robert Burns: Poems, Songs and Legacy
- Burns Night, Inn Deep
- Nichol Wheatley’s art depicting the tale of Tam O’Shanter at OranMor
- The Enduring Appeal of Mary Queen of Scots – University of Glasgow Research
- Curtain Set to Rise on Celtic Connections 2019
- FrightFest Week-End 1 and 2 March, 2019
- Silent Disco Party Parade, The Record Factory
- Glasgow Girls Kings Theatre
- Discover Family History at Kelvinhall
- Blueprint: Theorum CCA
- Collette, GFT
- Coach to Vienna + Fruit of Paradise | Ester Krumbachová Film Programme
- Conny Plank The Potential of Noise
- NT Live The Tragedy of King Richard II
- The Favourite, GFT
- Stan and Ollie, GFT
- CANCELLED She’s En Scene Women’s Screening: The Surprise Film CCA
- Tell It Slant Express Yourself on Burns Night