Children’s Wood Christmas Fair Sunday 6 December, 2015
Hosted by The Children’s Wood
Sunday 6 December, 2015
Kelbourne Street Scout Hall, G20 8PR
The Children’s Wood are hosting a Winter event on North Kelvin Meadow and The Children’s Wood, and in Kelbourne Street scout hall. We plan to light up three of the five old disused floodlights on the land with fairy lights to mark the start of Christmas celebrations in the area. This is being made possible by the help from local builders A. Menzies & Sons on Queen Margaret Drive. Actor, and local Dad, Tam Dean Burn will switch on the lights at 4:30pm.
As many of you will know, the North Kelvin Meadow and Children’s Wood used to be playing fields and tennis courts until 20 years ago, and the old floodlights are just one of the lasting legacies on the land from that time.
Local builder Andrew Menzies from A.Menzies & Sons says:
“We at A Menzies & Sons are glad to have been involved in making
the local kids’ Christmas a little more exciting by helping install
lighting to the play area. We grew up in this area and have many pleasant memories of spending time playing in Clouston Street pitches.”
See this wonderful video of Peter McKee of Parkour Scotland who scales one of the old floodlights:
At the event, on the meadow itself there will be outdoor cooking, play in the dark games and other activities, hot drinks and choir music and inside the scout hall there will be stalls and food.
There will be a variety of stalls with many different items from cards and purses to jewellery and clothing.
Stall holder Siobhan Healy of Natty Glass says:
“My glass and silver jewellery are formed using fire to create unique wearable artworks. The illuminated children’s wood is an exciting concept and as a local artist I’m delighted to be part of this event”
Nearly all of the stall holders are local artists and crafters. Stall holder Carol Webster says about the meadow and wood:
“My children jump with joy when I say we’re going to the Children’s Wood! It’s so much more exciting for them to go on a rope swing tied between two trees than the metal swings at the park. They spend hours in the willow den cooking up leaf stews and pine cone potions in the old cauldron. For them, the opportunity to play imaginatively outdoors is irresistible. We often come to the events, which are a great way to bring people together from different local communities. Storytelling in the woods is a magical experience, and afterwards the children drift back to the meadow via the raised beds, where they stop to marvel at the wonder of carrots and herbs growing in the soil. It’s a fantastic wild place, unlike anywhere else.”
Some of the raffle prizes include: Revival Retreat voucher, Rainbow Room Voucher, Yoga Bellies Voucher, Nancy Smilie gift and other luxury prizes.
- Spirito, Interiors, Cards, Gifts, Crow Road, Broomhill, Glasgow
- Stevenson Jewellers Glasgow West End
- Ashton Lane Hogmanay Street Party 2017
- A Relaxed Performance of The Sleeping Beauty, Kings Theatre, Glasgow
- Book Fair at the Botanics 28 and 29 December, 2017
- The Muppet Christmas Carol Screening and Toy Collection for Shelter Scotland, OranMor
- Christmas at GFT, 3 – 23 December, 2017
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Christmas Markets Glasgow City Centre – 9 November – 22 December, 2017
- The Glasgow Guild Christmas Department Store
- Called You Last Night From Glasgow, Club Night, Broadcast
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Glasgow Christmas Markets, Fairs and Shopping Events
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience, Avant Garde, Friday 22 December, 2017
- The Hidden Lane Late Night Shopping for Christmas
- Santa’s Magical Grotto at Lomond Shores until 24 December, 2017
- Mother India Christmas Menu
- Mistletoe and Mystery Evening , Partick Burgh Hall
- Merchant Square Christmas Craft Fair
- Christmas Drive In Movies, The Riverside Museum