Celtic Connections: Strathspey and Surreal, 23 January, 2016. Glasgow Royal Concert Hall 1 p.m.
23 January 2016 1:00PM
For fans of the fiddle!
Strathspey and Surreal
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
Buy tickets online
Or buy tickets from at the box office on 0141 353 8000
Prior to recent decades’ quantum expansion in traditional music education, Scotland’s strathspey and reel societies were often the only avenue available for young musicians to practise their craft. One such was Lau fiddler Aidan O’Rourke, who still considers his membership of the Oban society an invaluable apprenticeship.
Now, any idea arising jointly from O’Rourke and folk/jazz fusioneer Simon Thoumire promises exciting results, and so it is with this afternoon’s four world premières, of compositions by both artists, and by fiddler Shona Mooney and pianist Jennifer Austin, for a 21-strong fiddle band. O’Rourke and Thoumire’s aim is simultaneously to honour the SRS tradition, and hopefully contribute to future repertoire.
The other featured fiddlers are Adam Sutherland, Innes Watson, Ross Couper, Jenna Reid, Rua Macmillan, Patsy Reid, Lori Watson, Kristan Harvey, Megan Henderson, Chris Stout, Jack Smedley, Mhairi Mackinnon and Laura Wilkie, plus top fiddle students Ryan Young, Sally Simpson, Robbie MacKenzie, Bernadette Kellermann, Madeleine Stewart and Graham Rorie.
Please note: This concert takes place in the Main Auditorium of Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 2 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow G2 3NY
Under 14s should be accompanied by an adult
This venue has seating only.
This venue has wheelchair access and disabled toilet facilities.
- Aye Write: The Writing of Janet Paisley with Dr Linda Jackson, University of Strathclyde
- Silent Disco Party Parade, The Record Factory
- Creative Conversations – Novelist Jacob Ross
- GFF19 Jim Galloway – A Journey In Jazz CCA
- A Private War GFT
- Tell It To The Bees
- The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- The Vanishing Glasgow Film Theatre
- An Elephant Sitting Still Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Raft Glasgow Film Theatre
- Tickets on Sale Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- Poetry at Inn Deep
- The Hole in the Ground, Glasgow Film Festival
- Transatlantic Sessions Celtic Connections 2019 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- FrightFest Week-End 1 and 2 March, 2019
- Full Programme Announced Glasgow Film Festival
- Aye Write: Louise Welsh Introduces… Temi Oh & Bridget Collins
- Aye Write: Helena Kennedy QC
- Aye Write: Stuart Cosgrove & Ken McNab
- Aye Write: Lesley McDowell Introduces Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi & Laura Shepherd-Robinson