Celtic Connections: Strathspey and Surreal, 23 January, 2016. Glasgow Royal Concert Hall 1 p.m.
23 January 2016 1:00PM
For fans of the fiddle!
Strathspey and Surreal
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
Buy tickets online
Or buy tickets from at the box office on 0141 353 8000
Prior to recent decades’ quantum expansion in traditional music education, Scotland’s strathspey and reel societies were often the only avenue available for young musicians to practise their craft. One such was Lau fiddler Aidan O’Rourke, who still considers his membership of the Oban society an invaluable apprenticeship.
Now, any idea arising jointly from O’Rourke and folk/jazz fusioneer Simon Thoumire promises exciting results, and so it is with this afternoon’s four world premières, of compositions by both artists, and by fiddler Shona Mooney and pianist Jennifer Austin, for a 21-strong fiddle band. O’Rourke and Thoumire’s aim is simultaneously to honour the SRS tradition, and hopefully contribute to future repertoire.
The other featured fiddlers are Adam Sutherland, Innes Watson, Ross Couper, Jenna Reid, Rua Macmillan, Patsy Reid, Lori Watson, Kristan Harvey, Megan Henderson, Chris Stout, Jack Smedley, Mhairi Mackinnon and Laura Wilkie, plus top fiddle students Ryan Young, Sally Simpson, Robbie MacKenzie, Bernadette Kellermann, Madeleine Stewart and Graham Rorie.
Please note: This concert takes place in the Main Auditorium of Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 2 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow G2 3NY
Under 14s should be accompanied by an adult
This venue has seating only.
This venue has wheelchair access and disabled toilet facilities.
- CINE[STHESIA] – Scots and America, Kelvin Hall
- Annual Charities Xmas Fayre Glasgow
- Christmas Festival at Riverside Museum Glasgow
- Vintage Bus Fayre Glasgow
- Something Good Will Always Happen – Graham Fulton
- The Children’s Wood, Halloween 2018
- Many Singers Many Songs, Maryhill, 24 November, 2018
- West Dunbartonshire Christmas Toy Appeal
- Six and a Tanner, One Man Play by Rony Bridges
- Tai Chi Classes at Hillhead Sports Club
- Claire McFall, Creative Conversations
- Cultural Diversity Showcase, The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Black History Month
- “Freedom Bound” – Slavery in Scotland Discussion at GOMA
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Freedom Bound – Escaping Slavery in Scotland
- Dublin Film Festival celebrating New Scottish Cinema
- Glasgow Christmas Lights Switch On
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre at The Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Lady Vengeance at Glasgow Film Theatre
- John Carpenter: Master of Horror at Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Handmaiden – GFT