Celtic Connections 2016: John Grant support Rachel Sermanni – photos and review Pauline Keightley
John Grant at Celtic Connections
American singer-songwriter John Grant was on fine form at Celtic Connections. He is a larger than life bear of a man who commands the stage with his impressive bass voice. Well received by the fans, with calls of ‘John we love you!’ – he waved his arms in recognition.
He performed several songs from his third solo album, Grey Tickles, Black Pressure – ‘Geraldine’, ‘Global Warming’, ‘Voodoo Doll’ and ‘Disappointing’. He also sang some of his earlier material including, ‘Pale Green Ghosts’. I particularly enjoyed his hit song, ‘Glacier’, ‘This Pain’ and ‘Don’t become Paralysed with Fear.’ He raised the tempo with electronic pop rhythms. The thirty-something crowd were enthusiastic in their appreciation – and love!
Rachel Sermanni provided quality support and in contrast to Grant’s bass tones – the delicate and petite performer has an ethereal, soft focus voice.
Her new album release ‘Tied to the Moon’, explores earthier themes and she explained the theory she holds that women are tied to the moon’s cycles, whereas men are tied to the sun.
Review & Photos Pauline Keightley – http://pkimage.co.uk/
- International Women’s Day Glasgow – Quiz
- Black Star Jackals EP Launch
- Spank the Banker Documentary feature film by Samir Mehanovic
- Mid90s, Glasgow Film Festival 2019 review Pat Byrne
- Glasgow Film Festival Launch 2019 + announcement Scottish Premiere Wild Rose
- Arctic, Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- Sarah Jane Scouten The Doublet
- Cowboy Calypso, WomanSaid and Stephen EvEns
- New Candys + Kundalini Genie & Gelatine
- Aye Write: The Writing of Janet Paisley with Dr Linda Jackson, University of Strathclyde
- Silent Disco Party Parade, The Record Factory
- Creative Conversations – Novelist Jacob Ross
- GFF19 Jim Galloway – A Journey In Jazz CCA
- A Private War GFT
- Tell It To The Bees
- The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- The Vanishing Glasgow Film Theatre
- An Elephant Sitting Still Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Raft Glasgow Film Theatre
- Tickets on Sale Glasgow Film Festival 2019