Celtic Connections 2016: John Grant support Rachel Sermanni – photos and review Pauline Keightley
John Grant at Celtic Connections
American singer-songwriter John Grant was on fine form at Celtic Connections. He is a larger than life bear of a man who commands the stage with his impressive bass voice. Well received by the fans, with calls of ‘John we love you!’ – he waved his arms in recognition.
He performed several songs from his third solo album, Grey Tickles, Black Pressure – ‘Geraldine’, ‘Global Warming’, ‘Voodoo Doll’ and ‘Disappointing’. He also sang some of his earlier material including, ‘Pale Green Ghosts’. I particularly enjoyed his hit song, ‘Glacier’, ‘This Pain’ and ‘Don’t become Paralysed with Fear.’ He raised the tempo with electronic pop rhythms. The thirty-something crowd were enthusiastic in their appreciation – and love!
Rachel Sermanni provided quality support and in contrast to Grant’s bass tones – the delicate and petite performer has an ethereal, soft focus voice.
Her new album release ‘Tied to the Moon’, explores earthier themes and she explained the theory she holds that women are tied to the moon’s cycles, whereas men are tied to the sun.
Review & Photos Pauline Keightley – http://pkimage.co.uk/
- Aye Write! presents Jane Harper
- Glasgow Jazz Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- Beatson Cancer Charity Gin and Sing, Bohemian Rhapsody
- An Afternoon of Fiction, Poetry and Performance
- A Place For The Work and The Human Being
- Restless Natives – a screening West End Festival
- West End Shop Fronts, Virtual Tour Kelvin Hall
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Dusty Won’t Play at OranMor, West End Festival
- Outdoor Art Film, Eglantine, North Kelvin Meadow Glasgow
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase
- Summer Ball Fundraiser Craft Café Govan
- Lids Open Day with Glasgow Piano City West End Festival
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Italian Job GFT
- Class of 1984 | Pity Party Film Club CCA
- Sleepless in Seattle, GFT
- Robert the Bruce, GFT
- Late Night GFT