Celebrate Rachel Corrie’s Life with Open Mic and Communal Singing, Glasgow Autonomous Space, Thursday, 16 March, 2017
Celebration of Rachel Corrie’s life on the anniversary of her death.
Rachel Corrie was an American peace activist killed in Gaza in 2003 by Israeli forces whilst she was defending a Palestinian home from demolition. She has become a symbol of hope and solidarity for many, but to me she was a friend and awesome human being taken from us too early because of the ravages of war, borders and racism that kill millions worldwide.
The event will celebrate her life with something she would have loved – building community and celebrating the diversity and richness of Glasgow with songs and performances and sharings from all over the world. In direct opposition to racism and divisions, let us enjoy and celebrate each other’s roots and be an active part of creating a culture that supports and nurtures us all and our dreams and works for a decent ￼world.
Songs from Palestine! Jewish songs of resistance to Nazism and anti zionism! Egyptian compere! Scottish folk! Bring songs, poems, jokes and food to share. Readings from Rachel’s own words. Everyone gently encouraged to participate in a supportive environment.
Doesn’t have to be your own composition – sing/read/perform/or even just tell a joke that tickles you. The important thing is that we come together to relish our diversity and connections.
6-10pm. 16th March. Glasgow Autonomous Space. Near West Street subway.
Check Event on Facebook where the Address will be posted shortly.
Feel free to invite anyone who will appreciate and participate.
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase
- Summer Ball Fundraiser Craft Café Govan
- Lids Open Day with Glasgow Piano City West End Festival
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Italian Job GFT
- Class of 1984 | Pity Party Film Club CCA
- Sleepless in Seattle, GFT
- Robert the Bruce, GFT
- Late Night GFT
- Balloon GFT
- Diego Maradona GFT
- The Tennessee Hotshots at Websters Playhouse
- Doc’n Roll presents: It Must Schwing! The Blue Note Story
- NT Live: Small Island, GFT
- Glasgow Botanic Gardens: 200 Years at West End Festival 2019
- Chicago Websters Theatre
- Scalarama Press/Marketing and Design
- The Big West End Festival Closing Party Cottiers
- Big Choir Concert at Cottiers
- Ceilidh Dances at Cottiers, West End Festival 2019