Celebrate John Maclean Centenary / Living Rent Benefit at Stereo
Saturday 1 December, 2018 – 7 p.m.
Celebrate the Centenary of great John Maclean coming home to the Clyde!
Featuring JAMES KELMAN | HEIR OF THE CURSED | DECLAN WELSH and more
Stereo Cafe/Bar, Renfield Lane, G6
A party to mark 100 years since John Maclean returned to Glasgow. Having suffered imprisonment, hard labour and force feeding in Peterhead Prison, he remained an unrepentant revolutionary; but was released and pardoned by a government that feared an insurrection in Glasgow to mirror the uprisings in Dublin, Berlin and Petrodgrad.
Maclean was met on Buchanan Street by tens of thousands of striking workers who carried him through the streets beneath a red flag and chanted ‘victory to the Russian Revolution, victory to the German revolution, victory to the British revolution!’
A contemporary account stated that
‘The shouts that rent the air made a volume of sound that the capitalists of Clydeside will often remember in the near future, when they are troubled with bad dreams.’
A hundred years later we face the same threats – from capitalists and landlords, from nascent fascism, and from war-profiteers – that Maclean gave his life to defeat. But the struggle continues. Join us at Stereo for a party marking Maclean’s return to the Clyde and raise a glass to one of Scotland’s greatest Marxists. The event is hosted by the Scottish Labour History Society and all funds raised will go to the Living Rent Campaign.
Tickets: £7 (general admission), £5(unwaged), £10 (solidarity)
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- The Creative Process with Jacqueline Smith
- An Evening with local author – Pat McIntosh
- Scottish PEN’s Writers in Exile
- Manaf Halbouni – Artist’s Talk Refugee Festival Scotland
- Interfest and Book Launch Garnethill Glasgow
- Julia Donaldson – The Gruffalo and other stories at West End Festival
- Some Distant Day with Cheeky Besom Productions
- A Place For The Work and The Human Being
- Aye Write! presents Jane Harper
- An Afternoon of Fiction, Poetry and Performance
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- West End Shop Fronts, Virtual Tour Kelvin Hall
- Glasgow Botanic Gardens: 200 Years at West End Festival 2019
- Dear Dinosaur: T Rex on Tour
- Get Your Scots Wirds Oot and Caa Awa!
- Dan Richards Booked! Festival 2019 review Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine review: Polly Clarke – the tiger lady! Booked! Festival
- Taking Tea with a Trailblazer, NLS Kelvin Hall
- Samina Chaudry at Avant Garde
- Kerry Hudson’s Lowborn Tour, The Mitchell review Pat Byrne