can’t take my eyes off you – ProjectAbility
can’t take my eyes off you
20 Jan 2018 – 24 Feb 2018
Project Ability Gallery, 1st Floor, Trongate 103, Glasgow G1 5HD
can’t take my eyes off you is an exhibition of dolls.
Not just a child’s toy, the doll has been part of civilization since as far back as 2000 BC. The Paddle Doll, pictured below, is thought to be one of the oldest type of doll.
Every civilisation has their own evolution and history of doll making. Materials such as corn, bone, clay, cotton, wood and much more have all been used to make dolls. In addition to toys, they’ve held strong function as fertility charms, company in the afterlife and as important symbols during religious ceremonies.
can’t take my eyes off you showcases dolls from as far afield as we could spread the word; Canada, Australia, Sweden to name a few. Over 50 artists in total, working in supported studios as well as artists working independently have been selected in this juried exhibition. When the open call was announced the remarkable amount of submissions could not have been anticipated – exceeding all expectations. There’s a lot of love out there for the doll, and ‘can’t keep my eyes off of you’ has been curated to give the viewer as much to look at as possible!
Andrew Omoding, Aodhan McGrory, Balerie Conner, Britt O, Cameron Morgan, Chang Im Ohlsson, Colin Aoda, Declan Kennedy, Doreen Kay, Edward Henry, Eloise Wooding, Emma Dunn, Gary Turner, Hanna Björklund, Harison Eaton, Hazel Mavin, Jack Woodall, Jacqui Smyth, James Hardy, James Smith, Jenny Nyborg, John McNaught, Jonathan McKinstry, Karen Suzuki, Kate Bradbury, Kieran Vane, Klaus Pinter, Leanora Brophy, Lesley Nimmo, Lewis Scott, Linda Tulloch, Maddison Collins, Margaret Booth, Margaret McInnes, Melisa Paton, Mhairi Macdonald, Michael McMullen, Morag MacGilchrist, Natalie McIlroy, Natasha Ramjoorawon, Norman Sutton-Hibbert, Patricia Sigurd, Paul Rankin, Pauline Jackson, Petra Mueller, Ragna Lallerstedt, Robert Cornish, Roza Pedari, Ruth Mutch, Ruth Stiven, Sam Ahlstrand, Sandi Kiehlmann, Sandra Ormiston, Sarah Milne, Scott Smith, Seamus Killick, Steven Reilly, Terence Wilde, Thomas Willis, Tommy Mason.
- Women’s Suffrage in Glasgow Exhibition, The Mitchell
- Talk of the Steamie Conference, Govanhill
- Cryptic Sonica in Glasgow 2018 – Portal, Pivot and Visaurihelix
- ‘Cityscapes’ on the Horizon, Thistle Gallery
- The Great Big Mackintosh Bus Tour, Glasgow
- Rosengarten, The Hunterian
- Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
- Looking out to New Horizons… Thistle Gallery, Glasgow
- Encounter No 1 by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid
- HYPERMARKET – ART CAR BOOT, SWG3 2018
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club, Summer Show 2018, Ardarden Farm Shop
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Liquid Light by Vic Rodrick, First Solo Exhibition, Veneer, Glasgow
- A Day Out, The Lighthouse
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow