Cajun Music, The Doublet, First Monday every Month
There are Irish and Scottish sessions galore in Glasgow pubs, and singarounds and open mics but on the first Monday of every month there’s something a bit different in the Doublet’s cosy upstairs lounge.
Les Vieux, (Elly Farrelly: fiddle and vocals, Bill Macaulay: Cajun accordion, Sandy Semeonoff: guitar and vocals) and friends play acoustic Cajun music. The mainly French language Cajun music of south-west Louisiana ranges from old French folk songs to bluesy rocking dance music and everything in between. The music has a unique flavour. There are elements of country, blues and folk, but it doesn’t really sound like anything else.
Sandy has loved and played this music for years, notably with Glasgow band “Zut! La Chute….” in the ’80s and ’90s, and when Bill got in touch he jumped at the chance to form a trio with him and Elly.
This evening takes the form of a jam session. Les Vieux play throughout the evening but if you fancy giving this beautiful and captivating music a try, you’re welcome to come along, contribute a song or just join in.
The March session is the fifth one and the band is thrilled with the response to the first four. At the third one there were 8 fiddles, and a standing-room only crowd.
The music runs for a couple of hours or so from around 8, so get there early for a seat and “Laissez les bontemps rouler” – let the good times roll!
Totally free and totally fun!
The Doublet Bar, 74 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
- Aye Write 2019: ‘It’s Not About the Burqa’ Mariam Khan, Amna Saleem’ review Mary Irvine
- Aye Write 2019: Murray Pittock
- Aye Write 2019: Alan Brown
- Aye Write 2019 Henry Bell and Cat Boyd
- Womxns Networking Brunch
- Evening of discussion: poetry and film with Sawsan Al-Areeqe
- ¡Viva! Spanish & Latin American Film Festival 2019 Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sauvage, GFT
- Minding the Gap, GFT
- Tartan Features Beyond Zero, CCA
- Us, Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Great Escape with Dan Snow GFT
- Femspectives Film Festival Glasgow
- Out of Blue, GFT
- Wild Rose, GFT
- Laurel and Hardy, Best Before Bed Cinema
- The White Crow GFT
- Yikes Film Club – Brass Eye Tapes
- NT Live: Small Island, GFT
- Aye Write: The Writing of Janet Paisley with Dr Linda Jackson, University of Strathclyde