Cajun Music, The Doublet, First Monday every Month
There are Irish and Scottish sessions galore in Glasgow pubs, and singarounds and open mics but on the first Monday of every month there’s something a bit different in the Doublet’s cosy upstairs lounge.
Les Vieux, (Elly Farrelly: fiddle and vocals, Bill Macaulay: Cajun accordion, Sandy Semeonoff: guitar and vocals) and friends play acoustic Cajun music. The mainly French language Cajun music of south-west Louisiana ranges from old French folk songs to bluesy rocking dance music and everything in between. The music has a unique flavour. There are elements of country, blues and folk, but it doesn’t really sound like anything else.
Sandy has loved and played this music for years, notably with Glasgow band “Zut! La Chute….” in the ’80s and ’90s, and when Bill got in touch he jumped at the chance to form a trio with him and Elly.
This evening takes the form of a jam session. Les Vieux play throughout the evening but if you fancy giving this beautiful and captivating music a try, you’re welcome to come along, contribute a song or just join in.
The March session is the fifth one and the band is thrilled with the response to the first four. At the third one there were 8 fiddles, and a standing-room only crowd.
The music runs for a couple of hours or so from around 8, so get there early for a seat and “Laissez les bontemps rouler” – let the good times roll!
Totally free and totally fun!
The Doublet Bar, 74 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
- Series of Creative Writing Masterclasses
- Bohemia Bespoke Vintage Wedding Fair
- Stories from the Southside – Govanhill Book Festival
- Mind and Draw Live Music and Poetry Art Sessions at WEvolution
- Do The Right Thing CineMasters Spike Lee at GFT
- G20 Youth Festival – Raising Funds
- Govanhill Carnival Parade 2019
- Govanhill International Festival 2019
- Mother Courage and Her Children by Tom Leonard
- Only You GFT
- Tell It To The Bees GFT
- Our Time, GFT
- Varda by Agnes GFT
- CineRoma at Govanhill International Festival
- Back to the future: 1979-1989 Film Screenings at Kelvin Hall
- African Film Touring Programme Summer 2019
- Dance with a Stranger, GFT
- Eatfilm at Sloans presents Black Panther
- Africa in Motion Africa 3.0: Vanity CCA
- Gaza GFT