Cajun Music, The Doublet, First Monday every Month
There are Irish and Scottish sessions galore in Glasgow pubs, and singarounds and open mics but on the first Monday of every month there’s something a bit different in the Doublet’s cosy upstairs lounge.
Les Vieux, (Elly Farrelly: fiddle and vocals, Bill Macaulay: Cajun accordion, Sandy Semeonoff: guitar and vocals) and friends play acoustic Cajun music. The mainly French language Cajun music of south-west Louisiana ranges from old French folk songs to bluesy rocking dance music and everything in between. The music has a unique flavour. There are elements of country, blues and folk, but it doesn’t really sound like anything else.
Sandy has loved and played this music for years, notably with Glasgow band “Zut! La Chute….” in the ’80s and ’90s, and when Bill got in touch he jumped at the chance to form a trio with him and Elly.
This evening takes the form of a jam session. Les Vieux play throughout the evening but if you fancy giving this beautiful and captivating music a try, you’re welcome to come along, contribute a song or just join in.
The March session is the fifth one and the band is thrilled with the response to the first four. At the third one there were 8 fiddles, and a standing-room only crowd.
The music runs for a couple of hours or so from around 8, so get there early for a seat and “Laissez les bontemps rouler” – let the good times roll!
Totally free and totally fun!
The Doublet Bar, 74 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
- The Stand Comedy Club Christmas Specials 2018
- Karine Polwart, Creative Conversations
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience, Audio, Christmas 2018
- Family Carol Service, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Innes Watson’s Guitar Colloquium, The Blue Arrow
- Doris, Dolly and the Dressing Room Divas, OranMor
- Scottish Queer International Film Festival 2018
- Fright Night and A Girl Walk Home Alone at Night, Burnt Church Film Club
- Die Hard GFT
- SQIFF18 A Girl at My Door CCA
- Pity Party Film Club, Cry Baby CCA
- Elf and Trading Places Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Refuweegee and Music Broth Unsilent Night Fundraiser
- First Events or Glasgow Film Festival 2019 Announced
- SUSTAIN £200 bursary available for Community Cinema Projects
- Home Alone GFT
- The Wild Pear Tree
- Mug GFT
- The Old Man and The Gun GFT
- Sorry To Bother You GFT