Brooks Williams Sounds in the Suburbs, The Doublet
9 September, 2018
The Doublet Bar, 74 Park Rd, Glasgow G4 9JF
Absolutely delighted to once more welcome back the fabulous Brooks Williams to a SoundsintheSuburbs show, this time at the Doublet Bar.
Great news Brooks is back with a brand new album “Lucky Star” which is available now!
For those of you new to Brooks he hails from Statesboro, Georgia, the town made famous by country-blues legend Blind Willie McTell. Ranked in the Top 100 Acoustic Guitarists, he’s a mean finger-picker and a stunning slide guitarist. Plus, “he has a beautiful voice,” says AmericanaUK, “that you just melt into.” Not one easy to pigeon-hole, Brooks’ music is the love-child of country-blues and soulful Americana.
His massive repertoire spans classic roots and blues, Trouble In Mind, Backwater Blues and Mother Earth, as well as compelling covers from the likes of Dave Alvin, Buddy Miller and Mose Allison. His own songs are thoroughly alive with clearly-drawn ironic characters, like Frank Delandry and Evil Knievel, and rich in blues pathos.
Brooks Williams has worked stages worldwide for close to thirty years, touring constantly in the US, Canada, UK and Europe. Audiences are often heard asking, how can one guitar and one voice sound like a full band? The San Antonio Light says that Williams is a “fret monster who has to be seen to be believed!”
- A Private War GFT
- Tell It To The Bees
- The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- The Vanishing Glasgow Film Theatre
- An Elephant Sitting Still Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Raft Glasgow Film Theatre
- Tickets on Sale Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- Poetry at Inn Deep
- The Hole in the Ground, Glasgow Film Festival
- Transatlantic Sessions Celtic Connections 2019 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- FrightFest Week-End 1 and 2 March, 2019
- Full Programme Announced Glasgow Film Festival
- Aye Write: Louise Welsh Introduces… Temi Oh & Bridget Collins
- Aye Write: Helena Kennedy QC
- Aye Write: Stuart Cosgrove & Ken McNab
- Aye Write: Lesley McDowell Introduces Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi & Laura Shepherd-Robinson
- Aye Write: Frank Quitely The Comics That Made Me
- Aye Write: What You Need To Know About Character
- Tracey Thorn at Aye Write
- Belgian Cinema ‘Both Sides Now’, Glasgow Film Festival 2019