Brook Williams, Sounds in the Suburbs, Woodend Bowling and Tennis Club, 8 February, 2017
8 February, 2017
Woodend Bowling and Tennis Club
First gig is on the 8th of February at Woodend is the wonderful and very charming Brooks Williams paying a regular visit back to the club with support from the equally wonderful Jill Jackson
With a terrific voice, Jill is comfortable in most genres but Americana/country, sometimes with a hint of bluegrass, form large parts of her repertoire.
She’s supported Runrig and Bryan Adams during her sparkling career and her music never fails to impress fans and critics alike.
Jill writes great songs and sings with great emotion and great to have her added to this gig.
Brooks Williams, from Statesboro, Georgia (the town made famous by country-blues legend Blind Willie McTell), creates a super-charged roots music. Those who know their stuff describe Williams’ music as “A beautiful fusion of blues, old country and a touch Americana.” Audiences are often heard asking, how can one guitar and one voice sound like a full band?
AmericanaUK says, “he has a beautiful voice that you just melt into.” And he’s one helluva good guitar player, ranked in the “Top 100 Acoustic Guitarists.” The San Antonio Light says that Williams is a “fret monster who has to be seen to be believed!”
His massive repertoire spans classic roots and blues, compelling covers (from the likes of Dave Alvin, Mose Allison and Kris Kristofferson), and his own songs, which are rooted in blues and old country but are thoroughly alive with clearly-drawn ironic characters and rich blues pathos. What others say below.
[Brooks Williams] “really rocks, stirring up soulful Americana, full-on blues and tasty rootsy grooves.” (fRoots)
“He’s a lovely player, a lovely singer, and a great writer. The real thing.” (Martin Simpson)
Woodend Bowling and Tennis Club, 30 Chamberlain Road, G131QG
- STAGE Multimedia Exhibition
- Gavin Paterson Nova Scotia Folk Club
- The Wellgreen, Stilton, KiDD, West of Scotland Cricket Club
- David Rovics at the Doublet Bar
- Spangled Cabaret October 2018
- Starry Skies Album Launch, OranMor
- Fail Better Open Mic, Villiers & Co
- Jim Byrne, The Basement Jam, Tennent’s Bar, Glasgow
- Fara, OranMor, Glasgow
- Brooks Williams Sounds in the Suburbs, The Doublet
- Seven Song Club, LOOPER and Wholly…..Cats
- Linda Jaxson Band at St Louis Cafe/Bar, Glasgow
- Songs of the Silver Screen, OranMor
- Yvonne Lyon and Eilidh Patterson, The Glad Cafe
- Ethan Johns, Love Music Glasgow
- Women at Carlton Studios, Glasgow, Monthly Event
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, 24 August, 2018
- Word Jazzology, Glasgow 30 August 2018
- Musicians in Exile, The Pearce Institute
- Martha L Healy, Album Launch, The Glad Cafe