Brook Williams, Sounds in the Suburbs, Woodend Bowling and Tennis Club, 8 February, 2017
8 February, 2017
Woodend Bowling and Tennis Club
First gig is on the 8th of February at Woodend is the wonderful and very charming Brooks Williams paying a regular visit back to the club with support from the equally wonderful Jill Jackson
With a terrific voice, Jill is comfortable in most genres but Americana/country, sometimes with a hint of bluegrass, form large parts of her repertoire.
She’s supported Runrig and Bryan Adams during her sparkling career and her music never fails to impress fans and critics alike.
Jill writes great songs and sings with great emotion and great to have her added to this gig.
Brooks Williams, from Statesboro, Georgia (the town made famous by country-blues legend Blind Willie McTell), creates a super-charged roots music. Those who know their stuff describe Williams’ music as “A beautiful fusion of blues, old country and a touch Americana.” Audiences are often heard asking, how can one guitar and one voice sound like a full band?
AmericanaUK says, “he has a beautiful voice that you just melt into.” And he’s one helluva good guitar player, ranked in the “Top 100 Acoustic Guitarists.” The San Antonio Light says that Williams is a “fret monster who has to be seen to be believed!”
His massive repertoire spans classic roots and blues, compelling covers (from the likes of Dave Alvin, Mose Allison and Kris Kristofferson), and his own songs, which are rooted in blues and old country but are thoroughly alive with clearly-drawn ironic characters and rich blues pathos. What others say below.
[Brooks Williams] “really rocks, stirring up soulful Americana, full-on blues and tasty rootsy grooves.” (fRoots)
“He’s a lovely player, a lovely singer, and a great writer. The real thing.” (Martin Simpson)
Woodend Bowling and Tennis Club, 30 Chamberlain Road, G131QG
- Alan Murphy – A Nod to John Martyn
- The Creative Process with Jacqueline Smith
- An Evening with local author – Pat McIntosh
- Scottish PEN’s Writers in Exile
- Queen Margaret Drive Festival, West End Festival 2019
- Kirklee Allotments Open Day West End Festival 2019
- Manaf Halbouni – Artist’s Talk Refugee Festival Scotland
- Britain on Film: Welcome to Britain plus Q & A GFT
- Memoir of War GFT
- Anna Magnani: Made in Rome GFT
- The Cure Live at Hydepark – Anniversary 1978 – 2018
- Outdoor Art Film, Eglantine, North Kelvin Meadow Glasgow
- The Glasgow Mela 2019
- Love Me or Leave Me, GFT
- Doc’n Roll presents: It Must Schwing! The Blue Note Story
- Interfest and Book Launch Garnethill Glasgow
- The Captor, GFT
- Robert the Bruce, GFT
- Diego Maradona GFT
- NT Live: Small Island, GFT