Bob Law’s Blog: Autumn Colours in Glasgow’s West End
Autumn this year has been long lasting thanks to no major storms coming in off the Atlantic.
The West End of Glasgow has abundant deciduous tree cover thanks to all the parks and wooded spaces. Glasgow as a whole, indeed much of the western bowl of Scotland’s urban sprawl, from Johnstone/Kilmacolm direction in the west over to Airdrie/Lanark in the east consists of a huge area ringed by surrounding hills, covered in a patchwork quilt of woodland. Arguably, and somewhat ironically, the largest deciduous forest in Scotland lies not in the Scottish Highlands or Southern Uplands but within this major population hub.
When you get to a hilltop vantage point and look out over a sea of trees in every direction you realise how much ground they cover in such a densely packed area.
Our towns and cities would be very different places without them as they add so much to the landscape.
Even approaching mid November many trees in this sheltered area still retain a full canopy of leaves, although they will all drop soon.
Lasting this long it does help to make the winter seem shorter as once we get December and Christmas over with the days become longer again and the first spring flowers like snowdrops then crocus appear.
Autumn in the Great Urban Forest is always a spectacular affair as these photos show.
Bob Law, November, 2016.
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
Filed under: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
- Bob Law Photography: Winter in Scotland, Cnoc Coinnich Day Out
- Bob Law’s photography: The Colours of Autumn in Scotland
- Bob Law’s outdoor blog Scotland: Corra Linn Waterfalls and New Lanark
- Bob Law Blog: Kayaking on Loch Ard
- Bob Law: A Celebration of Spring in Scotland – May, 2017
- Bob Law: Torridon – Collecting Corbetts in the Scottish Mountains
- Bob Law blog and photography: Edinburgh Lights at Christmas
- Bob Law’s Blog: Walking around Burntisland,The Binn, Kinghorn and Firth of Forth
- Bob Law’s Blog: Autumn Colours in Glasgow’s West End
- Bob Law’s blog: A Trip to Gourock and Dunoon
- Bob Law: River Falloch and Loch Lomond, Photography and Kayaking
- Bob Law: Portencross – walking, cycling and photographs
- Bob Law’s Blog and photography: The Magic of Bute and Rothesay
- Bob Law: Glasgow In Colour
- Bob Law: blog and photographs – Millport and Great Cumbrae
- Bob Law: Old Glasgow and the Necropolis
- Bob Law’s blog and photography: Public Art in Scotland
- Bob Law: West End Wildlife and thoughts on Climate Change
- Bob Law: The Land of the Dripping Sun
- Bob Law: The Winter Wonders of Oban