Bob Law: A Cycling Trip Around West Lothian
West Lothian is a great place to go for a day’s cycling… or walking. The area is mainly livestock, arable farming, or oil-seed fields looking wonderful in May but the scenery is magnificent year round.
You will find several small hills and red shale bings providing excellent and unique views from their summits. Nothing else like this exists in Scotland, probably the UK.
Beecraigs Country Park, with several car parks within it probably makes the best base if driving there… or you can cycle from Edinburgh if fit. Rolling ridges and a rising upland plateau make for sometimes tough but continuously interesting cycling,
There is a myriad of quiet minor roads to play on and allow you to make it easier by picking flatter routes. These often run from west to east, along the various ridge-lines.
You will find a landscape similar to Renfrewshire with undulating hills and pleasant valleys. It is, however, drier making it possible to grow numerous patchwork-quilt fields of rape seed oil with its distinctive yellow flowers.
Red, green and gold – The colours of West Lothian.
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
Filed under: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
- Bob Law: A Cycling Trip Around West Lothian
- Bob Law’s Blog: Musselburgh, walking and photography
- Bob Law’s Blog: Ayr Beach – walking and photography
- Bob Law Photography and Walking in Scotland: The John Muir Way
- Bob Law: a selection of photos taken around Glasgow city
- Bob Law: The Pentlands Gallery
- Bob Law Photography: Winter in Scotland, Cnoc Coinnich Day Out
- Bob Law’s photography: The Colours of Autumn in Scotland
- Bob Law’s outdoor blog Scotland: Corra Linn Waterfalls and New Lanark
- Bob Law Blog: Kayaking on Loch Ard
- Bob Law: A Celebration of Spring in Scotland – May, 2017
- Bob Law: Torridon – Collecting Corbetts in the Scottish Mountains
- Bob Law blog and photography: Edinburgh Lights at Christmas
- Bob Law’s Blog: Walking around Burntisland,The Binn, Kinghorn and Firth of Forth
- Bob Law’s Blog: Autumn Colours in Glasgow’s West End
- Bob Law’s blog: A Trip to Gourock and Dunoon
- Bob Law: River Falloch and Loch Lomond, Photography and Kayaking
- Bob Law: Portencross – walking, cycling and photographs
- Bob Law’s Blog and photography: The Magic of Bute and Rothesay
- Bob Law: Glasgow In Colour