Bliss Glasgow Women’s Library Tuesday 8th December, 2015
Glasgow Women’s Library
Tuesday 8th December, 2015
7pm to 9.30pm
Set amidst Turkey’s natural wonders, Bliss is a riveting tale about love, honour, freedom and redemption.
When a 17 year old girl, Meryem, is found unconscious and dishevelled by the side of a lake, her family believes the worst – that her chastity has been lost. To uphold the family honour they turn to an ancient moral code that condemns Meryem to death. A distant cousin, Cemal, is ordered to carry out the task. Instead Meryem and Cemal embark on a surprising journey across traditional and modern-day Turkey in this unforgettable film.
Adapted from Zülfü Livaneli’s international best-selling novel, director Abdullah Oguz’s drama is filled with intensity, vivid cultural clash, fine music and some absolutely stunning scenery (the film was shot on the Sea of Marmara). But ultimately it is the figure of Meryem, a young woman struggling to live in a culture that condones the practice of female honour killings, which gives the film its heart. Meryem’s decision to live, and ultimately, to enjoy her life is the quiet revolution that ignites the entire story. The film will be followed by an informal discussion and refreshments will be provided.
Crèche and travel expenses reimbursed on request. This screening event is suitable for 16+ and open for women only.
Glasgow Women’s Library
23 Landressy Street
Glasgow, G40 1BP United Kingdom
Full details and booking information or you can call on 0141 550 2267.
- Festival 2018, Berlin on Screen GFT
- Racer and The Jailbird, GFT
- Con Air, GFT
- Cinemasters: Alfred Hitchcock Season at GFT 2018
- Pin Cushion, GFT
- Whitney GFT
- In Bed With Madonna GFT
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer Festival, Burnt Church Film Club Glasgow
- BlackKklansman Special Screening, GFT
- Scottish Short Film Festival, 21 July, 2018
- Cinemasters: Jacques Tati at GFT, Summer 2018
- Getting Started with Moving Image Archive, National Library of Scotland, Kelvin Hall
- Cabaret, GFT
- John Waters’ Polyester – Launch of Scalarama Programme 2018
- The Happy Prince, GFT
- Mean Girls, Burnt Church Film Club + Daniel Franzese in person for Q & A
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Britannia Panoptican Music Hall
- Howl’s Moving Castle, GFT
- Screening of ‘Harmonies’ The Glad Cafe
- Betty: They Say I’m Different, GFT