Bliss Glasgow Women’s Library Tuesday 8th December, 2015
Glasgow Women’s Library
Tuesday 8th December, 2015
7pm to 9.30pm
Set amidst Turkey’s natural wonders, Bliss is a riveting tale about love, honour, freedom and redemption.
When a 17 year old girl, Meryem, is found unconscious and dishevelled by the side of a lake, her family believes the worst – that her chastity has been lost. To uphold the family honour they turn to an ancient moral code that condemns Meryem to death. A distant cousin, Cemal, is ordered to carry out the task. Instead Meryem and Cemal embark on a surprising journey across traditional and modern-day Turkey in this unforgettable film.
Adapted from Zülfü Livaneli’s international best-selling novel, director Abdullah Oguz’s drama is filled with intensity, vivid cultural clash, fine music and some absolutely stunning scenery (the film was shot on the Sea of Marmara). But ultimately it is the figure of Meryem, a young woman struggling to live in a culture that condones the practice of female honour killings, which gives the film its heart. Meryem’s decision to live, and ultimately, to enjoy her life is the quiet revolution that ignites the entire story. The film will be followed by an informal discussion and refreshments will be provided.
Crèche and travel expenses reimbursed on request. This screening event is suitable for 16+ and open for women only.
Glasgow Women’s Library
23 Landressy Street
Glasgow, G40 1BP United Kingdom
Full details and booking information or you can call on 0141 550 2267.
- The Children’s Wood, Halloween 2018
- Many Singers Many Songs, Maryhill, 24 November, 2018
- West Dunbartonshire Christmas Toy Appeal
- Six and a Tanner, One Man Play by Rony Bridges
- Tai Chi Classes at Hillhead Sports Club
- Claire McFall, Creative Conversations
- Cultural Diversity Showcase, The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Black History Month
- “Freedom Bound” – Slavery in Scotland Discussion at GOMA
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Freedom Bound – Escaping Slavery in Scotland
- Dublin Film Festival celebrating New Scottish Cinema
- Glasgow Christmas Lights Switch On
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre at The Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema
- Lady Vengeance at Glasgow Film Theatre
- John Carpenter: Master of Horror at Glasgow Film Theatre
- The Handmaiden – GFT
- A night of music and song in support of Cure Claire’s Cancer
- Linda Jaxson, Unchain My Heart, St Louis Partick
- We See The World Differently Screening 24 October, 2018
- The Big Day of KinDness 23 October, 2018
- My 20th Century Glasgow Film Theatre