Before Stonewall +She Wanted Green Lawns, GFT
29 August, 2018
Screening as part of Independent Cinema Office x Club des Femmes season Revolt, She Said: Women and Film after ’68.
So much more than a brilliant documentary about LGBTQ+ life in the USA before the 1969 Stonewall riots, Greta Schiller’s perception-changing film places its audience in the presence of legends in their own lifetimes.
From Queen of Lesbian Pulp Ann Bannon revealing Beebo Brinker’s secrets, to poet-activist Audre Lorde putting her finger on the essential moment the queer underground joined hands with the Civil Rights movement, the film travels from Harlem speakeasies to McCarthyism via Rosie the Riveter, showing a community and culture ready to explode by 1968.
Deploying a treasure trove of archive footage and historical songs laced with double entendres, this incredibly important documentary shows that we’ve always been here, been queer, and ready to riot.
Accompanied by short film She Wanted Green Lawns (UK 1989, 4m)
GFT, 12 Rose St, Glasgow G3 6RB
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Only You GFT
- Scarred GFT
- The Brink GFT
- Eureka GFT
- Pavarotti plus satellite Q & A GFT
- Blinded by the Light at Glasgow Film Theatre
- In Conversation with Gurinder Chadha GFT
- Armstrong GFT
- Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese GFT
- Boogie at the Botanics, Open Air Cinema
- Of Fish and Foe GFT
- Special Events at Glasgow Film Theatre July 2019
- African Film Touring Programme Summer 2019
- Midsommar GFT
- Matchbox Cineclub + Sad Girl Cinema Der Fan
- UKJF: Inside the Mossad CCA Glasgow
- Africa in Motion Film Festival Foreign Body CCA
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Pure Love – The Voice of Ella Fitzgerald review by Jim Byrne
- Vita and Virginia GFT