Beats Closing Gala Glasgow Film Festival 2019
3 March, 2019
The much-anticipated screen version of Kieran Hurley’s award-winning play is a gallus, bittersweet coming-of-age rollercoaster: imagine Fellini’s I Vitelloni set to a throbbing techno beat.
It is 1994 and new legislation effectively outlaws raves or “public gatherings around amplified music characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats”. The party is well and truly over but not before mild-mannered teenager Johnno (Cristian Ortega) is encouraged to join his best mate Spanner (Lorn Macdonald) for one last big night out at an illegal rave.
Filmed in black and white, with Steven Soderbergh as executive producer, Beatsfinds real poignancy in the bond between these two innocents as they enter a wonderland of rebellion and romance. A heady solidarity is forged in the sweaty bodies, casual encounters and carefree exuberance of youth gathered in the pursuit of a good time.
A wildly entertaining end of an era party that brings a lump to the throat.
Please note: these screenings do not include access to the Glasgow Film Festival 2019 Closing Gala Party. Tickets: £11.00 / £8.80 concessions
Beats After-Party Sub Club
22 Jamaica Street, G1 4QD
£5 on the door (first come, first served)
Free Entry with:
• BEATS cinema ticket (valid with 7.30pm & 10pm tickets)
• GFF wristband
1994. Best mates Johnno and Spanner share a deep bond, forged through childhood. Now on the cusp of adulthood, life is destined to take them in very different directions… But this summer is going to be different for them, and for the country. The explosion of the free party scene and the largest counter-cultural youth movement in recent history is happening across the UK. In pursuit of adventure and escape the boys head out on one last night together to an illegal rave: a journey into an underworld of anarchy and freedom that ends with a full on collision with the forces of law and order. A universal story of friendship, rebellion and the irresistible power of gathered youth, set to a soundtrack as eclectic and electrifying as the scene it gave birth to, BEATS is a story for our time.
This section: Cinema, Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- Do The Right Thing CineMasters Spike Lee at GFT
- Only You GFT
- Tell It To The Bees GFT
- Our Time, GFT
- Varda by Agnes GFT
- CineRoma at Govanhill International Festival
- Back to the future: 1979-1989 Film Screenings at Kelvin Hall
- African Film Touring Programme Summer 2019
- Dance with a Stranger, GFT
- Eatfilm at Sloans presents Black Panther
- Africa in Motion Africa 3.0: Vanity CCA
- Gaza GFT
- Gwen, GFT
- Matchbox Cineclub + Sad Girl Cinema Der Fan
- Gregory’s Girl, Back to the Future at Kelvin Hall
- Africa in Motion Film Festival Foreign Body CCA
- Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese GFT
- Of Fish and Foe GFT
- Special Events at Glasgow Film Theatre July 2019
- Boogie at the Botanics, Open Air Cinema