Aye Write: sex in the afternoon. Kei Miller, Malika Booker and Rachel Mars 18 April
Kei Miller, Malika Booker and Rachel Mars: Sex in the Afternoon
18th Apr 2015 • 4:30PM – 5:30PM
The Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow
How can we express our desires? What stops us? Sex in all its joy, pain and glory at Aye Write!
Join Forward Prize winning writer Kei Miller, spoken word and multidisciplinary artist Malika Booker and performance maker and curator Rachel Mars for an afternoon treat. These three acclaimed writers share poetry and prose that explores and exposes sex in all its joy, pain and glory, followed by an open and frank Q&A with the audience plus sexuality researcher Dr Lena Wånggren. How can we express our desires? What stops us? Curated and produced by People Brands Events and presented as part of Wellcome Collection’s Sexology Season.
Kei Miller was born in Jamaica in 1978. He was educated at the University of the West Indies and Manchester Metropolitan University. He has published collections of poetry including ‘Carcanet: There is an Anger that Moves’ and ‘A Light Song of Light’. He teaches Creative Writing at the University of Glasgow.
Malika Booker’s poems are widely published in anthologies and journals including, “Bittersweet: Contemporary Black Women’s Poetry,” “Black & Asian Poets,” “Out of Bounds,” “”and “Ten New Poets.” She has represented British writing internationally, both independently and with the British Council, and has written for the stage and radio. She was the first Poet in Residence at the Royal Shakespeare Company.
Rachel Mars is a performance maker with a background in theatre, live art and comedy. She works as a solo artist and also collaborates with a range of artists including nat tarrab as mars.tarrab. She curates occasional programmes of art and culture for JW3 London.
Tickets: £9 plus transaction fee
Or buy tickets from our box office on 0141 353 8000
- Karine Polwart, Creative Conversations
- Refuweegee and Music Broth Unsilent Night Fundraiser
- Novelist Ann Cleeves, Creative Conversations
- Christmas Speakeasy and Open Mic, Scottish Writers
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Michael J Malone at Book Week Scotland 2018
- Lin Anderson, Shaping the Story at Scottish Writers Centre
- Catriona Malan ‘Meet the Author’ at Fruin Farm
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Open Mic at the Balloch House Hotel
- Creative Conversations: Zinnie Harris, playwright, screenwriter and theatre director.
- From Glasgow to Saturn Call for Submissions
- The Wee Guide to Porridge, Deedee Cuddihy
- Book Week Scotland, Autumn Voices
- Simon Carlyle and Gregor Sharp, Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Kusama – Infinity, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Breaking Boundaries, Bringing Translated Literature to Scotland
- Red Squirrel Press, Scottish Writers Centre
- Word Jazzology, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Remembering Glasgow’s Forgotten Women
- Book Week Scotland 2018