Aye Write: sex in the afternoon. Kei Miller, Malika Booker and Rachel Mars 18 April
Kei Miller, Malika Booker and Rachel Mars: Sex in the Afternoon
18th Apr 2015 • 4:30PM – 5:30PM
The Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow
How can we express our desires? What stops us? Sex in all its joy, pain and glory at Aye Write!
Join Forward Prize winning writer Kei Miller, spoken word and multidisciplinary artist Malika Booker and performance maker and curator Rachel Mars for an afternoon treat. These three acclaimed writers share poetry and prose that explores and exposes sex in all its joy, pain and glory, followed by an open and frank Q&A with the audience plus sexuality researcher Dr Lena Wånggren. How can we express our desires? What stops us? Curated and produced by People Brands Events and presented as part of Wellcome Collection’s Sexology Season.
Kei Miller was born in Jamaica in 1978. He was educated at the University of the West Indies and Manchester Metropolitan University. He has published collections of poetry including ‘Carcanet: There is an Anger that Moves’ and ‘A Light Song of Light’. He teaches Creative Writing at the University of Glasgow.
Malika Booker’s poems are widely published in anthologies and journals including, “Bittersweet: Contemporary Black Women’s Poetry,” “Black & Asian Poets,” “Out of Bounds,” “”and “Ten New Poets.” She has represented British writing internationally, both independently and with the British Council, and has written for the stage and radio. She was the first Poet in Residence at the Royal Shakespeare Company.
Rachel Mars is a performance maker with a background in theatre, live art and comedy. She works as a solo artist and also collaborates with a range of artists including nat tarrab as mars.tarrab. She curates occasional programmes of art and culture for JW3 London.
Tickets: £9 plus transaction fee
Or buy tickets from our box office on 0141 353 8000
- Book Fair at the Botanics 28 and 29 December, 2017
- Jim Sillars Launches In Place of Failure Aye Write 14th September 2015
- An Evening with Janice Galloway, Aye Write 29 September, 2015
- An Evening with Philippa Gregory Aye Write 20th Aug 2015
- An Evening with William Boyd Aye Write 3rd September 2015
- An Audience with David Mitchell Aye Write 15th Aug 2015
- Aye Write, 2015. John Lister-Kaye – review by Maggie Graham.
- Aye Write: A Duo of Debut Authors – Sue Lawrence and Kate Tough review Mary Irvine
- Aye Write 2015 Competition
- Aye Write: Showcase of Debut Authors, Sara Baume and Margaret Montgomery
- Sexology Season, Glasgow 18 April – 31 July 2015
- Aye Write 2015: The Midnight Letterbox: Selected Correspondence of Edwin Morgan review by Maggie Graham
- Aye Write 2015: Kate Hamer & Lisa O’Donnell: Family Secrets, Fri 24 April
- Aye Write 2015 Free Events
- Aye Write 23 April: Jackie Kay, Zoe Strachan, Allan Radcliffe & Kerry Hudson: Out There – Scottish LGBT Writing
- Poetry Events Aye Write 2015
- Aye Write 2015, James Morton – review by Mary Irvine
- Aye Write: John Mackay – The Books That Made Me – 18 April, 2015
- Aye Write: Bill Oddie, Unplucked, 22nd April, 2015
- Aye Write: Philip Miller & Matthew Plampin: The ‘Art’ of Fiction 18th Apr 2015