Aye Write 2019: Murray Pittock
Enlightenment in a Smart City
23rd Mar 2019 • 4:45PM – 5:45PM • Mitchell Library
Murray Pittock in conversation with Alistair Braidwood.
Murray Pittock is Bradley Professor at the University of Glasgow and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and Royal Historical Society. His latest book is a study of enlightenment in Edinburgh like no other.
In a journey packed with evidence and incident, he explores various civic networks – such as the newspaper and printing businesses, the political power of the gentry and patronage networks, as well as the pub and coffeehouse life – as drivers of cultural change.
His analysis reveals that the attributes of civic development, which lead to innovation and dynamism, were at the heart of what made Edinburgh a smart city of 1700.
0141 353 8000
The Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN
This section: Aye Write Book Festival 2019, Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Joe Hullait, Scot Squad Writer at QMU
- Creative Conversations, Kathleen Winter
- New Writings Showcase, Scottish Writers’ Centre
- Ian Macpherson, Comedy Writing Workshop
- Chris Brookmyre, Aye Write
- Poetry at The Parlour Glasgow West End
- Speakin Cajun CCA
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- The Red Light Zone by Jeff Zycinski – Jeff and Suzie Talk Radio
- Aye Write 2019! Sara Sheridan introduces Anne Griffin and Anstey Harris
- Sleaford Mods, CCA screening and Q and A
- White Shroud by Antanas Skema – music and words with Merope
- Book launch, readings and music at Avant Garde
- Book Event ‘Resurrection Men’ by David Craig
- Aye Write 2019! Frank Tallis and Laura Mucha
- Aye Write: Emily Cutts with Carol Craig
- Aye Write 2019! Daniel Smith
- Aye Write 2019! Malachy Tallack and Madeline Bunting
- Aye Write 2019! Alice Morrison
- Aye Write 2019! Walking and Running Through Scotland