Autumn in West Glasgow: The Seasons In Colour by Bob Law
It has been a magical month and a half of fine weather over the UK. Sunny days, cold nights, sometimes beautiful sunsets. The autumn colours have lasted this year thanks to light winds. Now the ‘grey time’ begins during November – skeleton trees stripped of leaf and life stand desolate… fallen and faded colours clog up drains to cause large puddles … long days of incessant rain and drizzle commence. A grey month and a prelude to the ‘white time’ of winter.
So let’s celebrate Nature’s autumn gift. A last splash of colour to sustain us through the dark nights ahead when the urban forest threatened to swamp the city and all you could see from any hillside was an ocean of multicoloured trees lapping against the buildings.
What would any city look like without its cloak of trees to cheer us up? The Great Wood of Caledon is not to be found up north in the wilds but in the Scottish towns and cities, in parks, along canals and railways, by the side of roads, in gardens and open spaces.
Taken together, a vast deciduous urban forest stretching for many miles left by previous generations and a great legacy we almost take for granted today. A treasure of our age. Trees gathered from every corner of the planet in many cases by the Victorians and only coming to full maturity now.
And we certainly should treasure them. Forests were here long before our arrival and they may yet witness our end.
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
Filed under: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
- Bob Law: a selection of photos taken around Glasgow city
- Bob Law: The Pentlands Gallery
- Bob Law Photography: Winter in Scotland, Cnoc Coinnich Day Out
- Bob Law’s photography: The Colours of Autumn in Scotland
- Bob Law’s outdoor blog Scotland: Corra Linn Waterfalls and New Lanark
- Bob Law Blog: Kayaking on Loch Ard
- Bob Law: A Celebration of Spring in Scotland – May, 2017
- Bob Law: Torridon – Collecting Corbetts in the Scottish Mountains
- Bob Law blog and photography: Edinburgh Lights at Christmas
- Bob Law’s Blog: Walking around Burntisland,The Binn, Kinghorn and Firth of Forth
- Bob Law’s Blog: Autumn Colours in Glasgow’s West End
- Bob Law’s blog: A Trip to Gourock and Dunoon
- Bob Law: River Falloch and Loch Lomond, Photography and Kayaking
- Bob Law: Portencross – walking, cycling and photographs
- Bob Law’s Blog and photography: The Magic of Bute and Rothesay
- Bob Law: Glasgow In Colour
- Bob Law: blog and photographs – Millport and Great Cumbrae
- Bob Law: Old Glasgow and the Necropolis
- Bob Law’s blog and photography: Public Art in Scotland
- Bob Law: West End Wildlife and thoughts on Climate Change