Art On The Hill, Southside Festival Glasgow, 2 – 31st May, 2014
Opening Night 2nd May / Runs till 31st May
Church On The Hill, Battlefield Queens Park, Glasgow
Contact – email@example.com
Art On The Hill is an independent, artist run Art Fair taking place during the South Side Fringe Festival held upstairs in ‘Church On The Hill’, in Battlefield Queens Park Glasgow. Displaying the work of around 100 artists.Art On The Hill will be taking place in the ‘Church On The Hill’ Battlefield Queens Park, as part of the Southside Fringe Festival in May 2014. We aim to be something of a new Glasgow Art Fair showcasing the work of around 100 artists. Bringing together select fresh faces just starting out, recent & older graduates from the Glasgow School Of Art, seasoned professionals and even some artists from Edinburgh!
Organized by Artist Peter Gillies who at the start of 2013 initiated a Facebook group called ‘Glasgow Independent Artists’, the primary mission to gather up a pool of Glasgow based artists with the long tern view of staging a large Artist run show, due to the noticeable lack of an official Glasgow Art Fair in recent years.
In the meantime the group has acted as a base to organize events, share & solve problems, float ideas and plans in the art community. Peter believes as all artists share a common goal it is more beneficial to our own practices and the wider art community that we communicate and work together for the greater good.
One year later and collating 650 members, after some chance meetings and discussions it was proposed to run the show during the Southside Fringe Festival 2014, which tied in rather appropriately with Peter’s original intended venue of Church On The Hill. And so the last 6 months have been spent putting the art group into action.
The aim of this exhibition is to act as an artist run platform, where by the artists can show in a professional large group show without the prohibiting costs of mainstream art fairs and also allow the public access to the diverse breadth of artistic talent that is rampant in Glasgow in a more relaxed atmosphere.
Opening night will be a great chance to meet the artists and throughout the month we have a program of Artist Talks and events planned.
We are very happy to be part of the Southside Fringe Festival ,very happy to have secured Church On The Hill as the venue to host the show, and very happy to present the truly diverse and talented artistic community to a wider audience.
It must be noted that unfortunately our venue does not have disabled access, the show is in the upstairs of the church which is currently un-used by the owners. We apologize to those that this restricts.
You will certainly recognize the works from some of our local artists that exhibit in galleries around Glasgow & further a field, but there is also many you are probably not familiar with. So we have chosen to promote our show without the usual recognizable name drops, just with the statement that the artists involved have all been selected upon the merit of their works and dedication to their practice.
We invite you to come and see art for yourself.
This section: Art - what's on
Filed under: Art - what's on
- Mind and Draw Live Music and Poetry Art Sessions at WEvolution
- Ilana Halperin: Minerals of New York, The Hunterian
- Linda McCartney Retrospective at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Have A Go – Calligraphy at The Mitchell Library
- Some things want to run V/DA | Sonic Séance: The Gathering CCA
- Anderson Gerard Exhibition at Offshore Cafe Glasgow
- Manaf Halbouni – Artist’s Talk Refugee Festival Scotland
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh by John Cairney, West End Festival 2019
- The Lighthouse is celebrating its 20th Birthday
- SPLIT Glasgow Art Collective Graduate Showcase
- Glasgow Roma Traveller Celebration CCA
- Claiming Back the Narrative, Refugee Week Scotland 2019
- Summer Time, Summer Place Thistle Gallery
- Maker And Producer (sustainable textiles)
- DEGREE SHOW Glasgow School of Art 2019
- Glasgow School of Art Master of Fine Art Degree Show 2019
- Fashion Design Students Showcase Degree Show 2019
- Mackintosh Still Life Drawing
- Patrick McAlindon at The Glasgow Guild
- Rhona Mühlebach Loch Long Solo Exhibition GFT