Art Glasgow: Scottish Gold Exhibition, The Hunterian, From 14th March – 15 June
14 March – 15 June 2014
Hunterian Art Gallery, University Avenue, G12
This major new exhibition features a spectacular array of Scottish gold items from the Bronze Age to the present. Focussing on the occurrence of gold in Scotland and Scottish gold mining, Scottish Gold offers a unique opportunity to learn about the precious metal as part of the natural history of Scotland and its historical uses.
Drawing on The Hunterian’s rich collections of mineralogy, archaeology and history and supported by key loans from around the UK, Scottish Gold features a large selection of the finest Scottish gold specimens and objects made and used in Scotland.
For the first time, several of the largest known Scottish gold nuggets are displayed together and the surviving gold torcs from the large hoard found at Law Farm, Moray, in 1857 have been reunited. Other key objects include a gold chain and badge of Order of the Thistle, Scottish gold coinage and medals, and superb racing cups.
This section: Art & artists Glasgow West End, Art - what's on, Galleries
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Sonnet Youth, The Drygate
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Everything in my Etsy shop is on sale: framed prints include classic views of the West End
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017
- Poetry at Inn Deep, Tuesday 14 November, 2017
- Archifon IV, Cryptic Sonica, University of Glasgow Chapel 1 – 5 November, 2017
- Easing into Autumn With ‘Seven of Seven’, Thistle Gallery from 19 October, 2017 until end of the month.
- Scotland’s Own Coinage, The Hunterian, From 3 October 2017
- A Synchronology: the contemporary and other times, Hunterian Art Gallery, 27 October 2017 – 28 January 2018
- Family Ties, Thistle Gallery, 30 September – 15 October, 2017
- Carol Dunbar, Gallery Owner: Local Character, Glasgow West End
- Glasgow Doors Open Days Glasgow School of Art, Restoring Mackintosh Building, 11 September 2017
- An Afternoon at Windows in the West, Avril Paton, Mackintosh Festival 2017, Queens Cross Church, 20 October, 2017
- ‘Tempest’ Stirs Up A Storm! Thistle Gallery, Park Road, 9 – 25 September, 2017