Aoife O’Donovan, Cottiers, 26 May, 2017
Cottiers, 26 May, 2017
Tickets £16.50 Adults/ £15 Concessions (Ticket Price inc. ticket admin fee which will display at the checkout) (fee applicable to all tickets, including tickets bought in person or bought on the day)
Aoife O’Donovan’s sophomore album, ‘In the Magic Hour’ — produced by Tucker Martine (The Decemberists, Neko Case) and out Jan. 22, 2016 via Yep Roc Records — is a 10-song album full of the singer’s honeyed vocals mixed with gauzy, frictionless sounds: splashing cymbals, airy harmonies, the leisurely baritone musings of an electric guitar. Written in the wake of O’Donovan’s grandfather’s death, ‘In the Magic Hour’ is her most introspective effort yet, an aching exploration of memory and mortality.
For a decade, O’Donovan wielded her instrument with tensile strength as the captivating lead singer of the Boston-based progressive string band Crooked Still. She was a featured vocalist on ‘The Goat Rodeo Sessions,’ the Grammy-winning album by Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile, has made regular appearances on A Prairie Home Companion and collaborated with some of the most eminent names in music across a wide variety of genres from Alison Krauss to Dave Douglas
In 2013 O’Donovan released her debut solo album, ‘Fossils,’ a moody collection of original songs with a country lilt. The album garnered praise from The New York Times and Rolling Stone, while The Guardian deemed O’Donovan the ‘next Americana celebrity.’ Most recently O’Donovan has lent her voice to the folk trio I’m With Her with singers Sara Watkins (Nickel Creek) and Sarah Jarosz.
14+. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult.
This is a seated event. Tickets sold as General Admission (you will not be allocated a specific seat in the auditorium). Tickets are also available from other suppliers. If Cottiers’ allocation of tickets is sold out, it may still be possible to purchase from other ticket vendors. Please check online for more information.
Doors open 7.30pm.
Please note, Cottiers’ box office is only manned when there is a performance in the venue. For Box Office Collection, please wait until the day of performance. Phone messages and emails are checked at least once a day, Tuesdays to Saturdays.
Cottiers, 93-95 Hyndland St, Glasgow G11 5PU
- Nathan Bell and Lynnie Carson, Glasgow Americana
- STAGE Multimedia Exhibition
- Gavin Paterson Nova Scotia Folk Club
- The Wellgreen, Stilton, KiDD, West of Scotland Cricket Club
- David Rovics at the Doublet Bar
- Spangled Cabaret October 2018
- Starry Skies Album Launch, OranMor
- Fail Better Open Mic, Villiers & Co
- Jim Byrne, The Basement Jam, Tennent’s Bar, Glasgow
- Fara, OranMor, Glasgow
- Brooks Williams Sounds in the Suburbs, The Doublet
- Seven Song Club, LOOPER and Wholly…..Cats
- Linda Jaxson Band at St Louis Cafe/Bar, Glasgow
- Songs of the Silver Screen, OranMor
- Yvonne Lyon and Eilidh Patterson, The Glad Cafe
- Ethan Johns, Love Music Glasgow
- Women at Carlton Studios, Glasgow, Monthly Event
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, 24 August, 2018
- Word Jazzology, Glasgow 30 August 2018
- Musicians in Exile, The Pearce Institute