An Anarchist’s Story – The Life of Ethel MacDonald, Film Screening STUC, Friday 29 April, 2016
An Anarchist’s Story – The Life of Ethel MacDonald
GMB Glasgow General Apex Branch have organised a free screening of ‘An Anarchist’s Story: The Life of Ethel MacDonald’
Original idea by Alison Murphy (Co-Producer). Produced & Directed by Mark Littlewood of Pelicula Films. Screenplay written by Chris Dolan who based his book of the same title on the film research.
Friday 29 April, 2016 8 p.m.
STUC 333 Woodlands Road G3 6NG
In 1936, with civil war sweeping through Spain, Ethel Macdonald – a working-class girl from Motherwell – was to become, for a year, one of the world’s most famous voices as she sent dispatches and broadcasts back from the Spanish Anarchist camp in Barcelona to the UK. ‘An Anarchist’s Story: The Life of Ethel MacDonald’ uses contemporary ac-counts, Ethel’s own words and those of her close associates to unravel the mystery of this activist and examines the unique impact that she had during this fascinating period of European history.
The film will be introduced by a local trade unionist and Chris Dolan. The screening will be followed by an opportunity to discuss some of the issues raised in the film with Chris Dolan, David Archibald and others.
There will also be an opportunity to buy Chris Dolan’s books.
- Nature Writing Beyond Landscape – Scottish Writers Centre, Glasgow
- Express Yourself, Women in Poetry at Tell It Slant, Friday 23 February, 2018
- Colin Herd, Poet at Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- LGBT History Month, Film Screening and Discussion, STUC
- The Carrbridge Rose – Brian Whittingham
- Ian Bell New Writing Award, Meet the Judges at Aye Write
- Sonnet Youth at The Drygate, 21 February, 2018
- Aye Write! Denise Mina introduces… Danny Denton & Mick Kitson 18 March, 2018
- Denise Mina at Creative Conversations review Pat Byrne
- Sextival: Queer Relationships on Film, CCA
- Aye Write 2018 – Darren McGarvey & Raoul Martinez, Freedom From Poverty
- Eileen Myles and nick-e-melville, OranMor
- Denise Mina at Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- The Darker Side of Fairytales with Kirsty Logan, Dumbarton Library
- Honest Error: Glasgow Poets on Charles Rennie Mackintosh, The Hunterian, University of Glasgow
- Writer David Keenan, Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- AyeWrite! 2018 Ten Writers Telling Lies
- Aye Write! 2018 Jackie Kay – Bantam
- Aye Write! 2018 Louise Welsh Introduces Laura Carlin & Imogen Hermes Gowar