An Update on Activities at North Kelvin Meadow and The Children’s Wood January 2016
(Visit from Council on 12 January has been postponed. Check Facebook for new date.)
Even though mother nature does most of the work on the land regarding the growing, there’s always work to be done to maintain the land.
In no particular order here a few that people have been doing:
1. Rebuilt from scratch 4 new Raised Beds. The original wood had rotten through as it was now some 6 years old.
2. Rebuilt the entrance to Compost number 1 as the wood had rotten.
3. Painted the brick shed.
4. Cleared the main path running through the centre of the meadow of mud and leaves. We’ve kept the puddles as the young kids love to play in them! The circle path will be cleared in the coming week or so. ( broke a few brooms in the process!).
5. Replaced a welcome sign that was on its last legs and fixed another that was broken.
6. Sanded down the wooden door edges in the brick shed as the doors had swelled and so difficult to open and close. Still not great but its much better than it was. The shutters will be sanded next.
7. Tidied the inside of the brick shed.
8. Added bark chip into the main area of the Children Wood.
9. Created two new fox dens.
10. Fixed fencing where it had broken.
11. Swept clear the entrances on Clouston and Kelbourne streets.
12. Changed green and red signs on Compost bins.
13. Trimmed the bushes that branches were hanging over the blaze paths.
14. Put up dog poo dispenser beside the bins.
15. Put up another bird nut feeder (feel free to fill with nuts!)
16. Growing winter vegetables in the two community raised beds. Volunteer’s welcome (get in touch!).
17. The Children Wood group added some lightning to 3 of the X flood lightning towers to give the land some Christmas cheer!
18. Added some soil to main central area that is well worn.
19. Added two stirring forks to share between the 7 compost bins we have.
20. Last but not least litter picking and taking full bags from our two bins to the Kelbourne street pavement where they are collected.
If you would like to help with any tasks you can get in touch at: email email@example.com
Also get in touch if you would like to rent a raised bed to grow vegetables and fruit : firstname.lastname@example.org
The rent per calender year £5.
This section: North Kelvin Meadow and Children's Wood, Glasgow
Filed under: North Kelvin Meadow and Children's Wood, Glasgow
- The Children’s Wood Christmas Fair
- Celebrate Solstice at North Kelvin Meadow
- Harvest Market, Children’s Wood, Glasgow West End 8 October, 2017
- Summer Bushcraft Club, The Children’s Wood, 12 July – 9 August, 2017
- The Children’s Wood – come to play anytime.
- The Children’s Wood Fundraiser, 22 March, 2016 – The Project Cafe
- Loving Our Land, Valentine’s Day at The Children’s Wood, North Kelvin Meado
- Woodlands Community Garden, Community Garden Meeting Sunday 21 February, 2015
- North Kelvin Meadow Bonfire Jam, Saturday 6 February, 2016.
- Community Gathering + Bonfire @ North Kelvin Meadow & the Children’s Wood Saturday, January 16, 2016
- Lend Your Support North Kelvin Meadow and The Children’s Wood
- An Update on Activities at North Kelvin Meadow and The Children’s Wood January 2016
- Children’s Wood Christmas Fair Sunday 6 December, 2015
- Support North Kelvin Meadow and The Children’s Wood Tuesday 20 October, 2015
- The Harvest Festival, The Children’s Wood, Sunday 23 August, 2015
- Uprooted, Outdoor Theatre Production, Glasgow August 2015
- The Children’s Wood, Great Food Festival and Gala, 7 June, 2015
- Save Our Dear Wild Place – deadline 29 May, 2015 – The Children’s Wood
- Cinema: The Children’s Wood – From Scotland With Love 1 February
- Hallowe’en Event The Children’s Wood 31 October, 2014