Americana Exhibition at ProjectAbility 7 – 29 October, 2016
Patrick Butterworth works in ProjectAbility’s ReConnect studios and he is a highly skilled and focused painter. Patrick has a love for old Western films, iconic characters of cowboys and gun slingers. Many of his paintings are taken from film stills, and meticulously translated onto canvas in close to picture perfect realism. It is often hard to tell from a short distance away if these pieces are paintings or photographic reproductions taken from the films they portray. He is a master with paint and brush and you can see the love he has for his subject matter in each picture he paints.
The characters speak for themselves and we can see them as both the actors they really are and the gun slingers they portray on screen. The ‘wild wild west’ in North America has a legendary status worldwide, and it is hard not to be fascinated by the stories from this period. Lawlessness and rebellion are rife in these times and this can be seen and felt in the paintings that make up Americana.
ProjectAbility is delighted to have this opportunity to exhibit these paintings as a whole body of work. They have been months and even years in the making, and will be appreciated and admired both for their skill in execution and the stories they tell.
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Liquid Light by Vic Rodrick, First Solo Exhibition, Veneer, Glasgow
- A Day Out, The Lighthouse
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow
- RE:search Glasgow Science Festival
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths
- E. Jane / Hardeep Pandhal Opening GI Festival, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Nnena Kalu, ProjectAbility, Glasgow
- Transatlantic connections – Hunterian exhibition brings Harvard’s historic treasures to Glasgow
- Woodlands Arts Survey & Artist Network Lunch Woodlands Workspace
- Fresh Work Springs Eternal at Thistle Gallery
- Cross-feed Night School with Dr David Luke
- ‘Spring: the music of open windows’ at Thistle Gallery
- Dr Yupin Chung: Tea Under A Willow Tree, Glasgow Art Club
- 150th Anniversary Talks: Joanne Laird & Norman Walker Scotland Street School