Americana Exhibition at ProjectAbility 7 – 29 October, 2016
Patrick Butterworth works in ProjectAbility’s ReConnect studios and he is a highly skilled and focused painter. Patrick has a love for old Western films, iconic characters of cowboys and gun slingers. Many of his paintings are taken from film stills, and meticulously translated onto canvas in close to picture perfect realism. It is often hard to tell from a short distance away if these pieces are paintings or photographic reproductions taken from the films they portray. He is a master with paint and brush and you can see the love he has for his subject matter in each picture he paints.
The characters speak for themselves and we can see them as both the actors they really are and the gun slingers they portray on screen. The ‘wild wild west’ in North America has a legendary status worldwide, and it is hard not to be fascinated by the stories from this period. Lawlessness and rebellion are rife in these times and this can be seen and felt in the paintings that make up Americana.
ProjectAbility is delighted to have this opportunity to exhibit these paintings as a whole body of work. They have been months and even years in the making, and will be appreciated and admired both for their skill in execution and the stories they tell.
- Denise Noone Bathing Bells at Govanhill Baths review by Pat Byrne
- Introduction to Study at Glasgow School of Art
- Brushes With War, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
- Bathing Bells Exhibition, Govanhill Baths
- Young Talent Exhibition, ProjectAbility Glasgow
- Shaping Their World, Thistle Gallery
- Graduate Degree Show, 2018, Glasgow School of Art
- Museums at Night, Glasgow, October, 2018
- Women’s Suffrage in Glasgow Exhibition, The Mitchell
- Talk of the Steamie Conference, Govanhill
- Cryptic Sonica in Glasgow 2018 – Portal, Pivot and Visaurihelix
- ‘Cityscapes’ on the Horizon, Thistle Gallery
- The Great Big Mackintosh Bus Tour, Glasgow
- Rosengarten, The Hunterian
- Steven Berkoff: Gorbals 1966
- Looking out to New Horizons… Thistle Gallery, Glasgow
- Encounter No 1 by Sogol Mabadi and Emma Helen Reid
- HYPERMARKET – ART CAR BOOT, SWG3 2018
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club, Summer Show 2018, Ardarden Farm Shop
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend