Alternative Burns Night: Herland Ceilidh, Glasgow Womens Library
(Image: Shamshad Ghani singing Auld Lang Syne in Punjabi at Herland: Alternative Burns Night, Jan 2018 Credit: GWL)
Friday 25th January, 2019 at 7:30 pm – 10:30 pm (18+)
£5 – £16
Now available for this unmissable party! (Buy online)
Legendary Alternative Burns Night gets a twist, a turn, a birl… ceilidh-ing the night away and hearing poetry, Gaelic story-telling and song by awe-inspiring women creatives.
Maeve Mackinnon hosts the evening, and performs at the event. With a repertoire spanning Gaelic and English-language material, both traditional and contemporary, she’s equally won acclaim for the eloquent emotional connection she forges with every song, communicated in a bewitchingly honeyed, husky yet vibrantly earthy voice, and for her music’s dynamic interplay of boldness and sensitivity.
Bashabi Fraser was born in West Bengal in India, and is based in Scotland. Fraser is a poet, children’s writer, translator and editor. Her publications include Ragas & Reels (2012), Scots Beneath the Banyan Tree: stories from Bengal (2012), From the Ganga to the Tay (2009), Bengal Partition Stories: an unclosed chapter (2006, 2008), and Tartan & Turban (2004). We are delighted that Fraser will share some of her poetry and work at Herland.
The wonderful musician Catriona Hawksworth will be bringing together a ceilidh band especially for Herland. The night will be peppered with poetry and song, and the band will include slower dances in their set. GWL’s main library space, adjacent to the events space, will be open for those who wish a cool down or more peaceful environment.
Soup will be served just before 9pm. This will include: vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free options but if you have other dietary requirements please get in touch in advance
Dress code: Circles, squares, reels… no heels!
Pay It Forward DonationGWL is always striving to be as open, inclusive and accessible as possible. The price of the Herland tickets can be a barrier to some women, GWL are operating a Pay it Forward policy on tickets. These Pay it Forward tickets will go to women who would not otherwise be able to attend and will also help support the event.
This event is open to all (18+). This event costs £16 full price. Subsidised places at £12 for students, people on a low income, unemployed or those in receipt of benefit and Friends of GWL.
Glasgow Women’s Library,
23 Landressy Street
Glasgow, G40 1BP
This section: Burns Events, Dance
- Free Online Course, University of Glasgow: Robert Burns: Poems, Songs and Legacy
- Burns Night, Inn Deep
- Silent Disco Party Parade, The Record Factory
- Tell It Slant Express Yourself on Burns Night
- Alternative Burns Night: Herland Ceilidh, Glasgow Womens Library
- Òran Mór Burns Night 2019
- This Is Not A Burns Night, Govanhill Community Baths Trust
- Glasgow Literary Lounge – Alternative Burns
- Burns Supper and Ceilidh with the Big Stupit Band, Cottiers
- Dance Along Movie, Trolls
- Spangled Cabaret The Blue Arrow
- Salsa Networking Event, Havana Glasgow Film Festival CCA
- Scottish Ensemble – Prelude – skydiving from a dream (with Andersson Dance)The Tramway
- Choreography – The Simpson Board Training hosted by Indepen-dance
- Disability Led Creative Movement CCA Oct/Dec 2018
- Colin Dunne: Concert The Tramway
- Spangled Cabaret October 2018
- Soul Bowl, Jordanhill Bowling Club
- George Square, Glasgow 2018
- Govanhill International Festival and Carnival 2018