Adventures in Space 07 Jul – 02 Oct, 2016 The Lighthouse
Adventures in Space 07 Jul – 02 Oct, 2016
Gallery One, The Lighthouse,11 Mitchell Lane, Glasgow, Scotland G1 3NU
For over a century the progressive architects of the modern world have inspired the creators of science-fiction to speculate about the future. The vivid imagery and the imaginary cities of science-fiction have, in turn, sparked the imaginations of generations of architects.
From the earliest visionaries via the concepts of the Italian Futurists, Le Corbusier’s radiant city, the ‘pulp’ serials of the 1930s, streamlined transportation, the geodesic world of Buckminster Fuller, through the atomic age threat of Armageddon, to computer simulations of the future – join us to Adventure in Space (and time) as we explore the history of architecture in science-fiction through books, films, TV and comics.
Science fiction films exert a powerful grip on the human imagination. This innovative exhibition, curated by Berlin based leading Scots designer, Jon Jardine and The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland will offer insights into the architecture of science fiction. It will compare the ideas of architectural visionaries with startling representations of buildings and cities from the birth of cinema to the present day.
The Festival of Architecture 2016 is a year-long, Scotland-wide celebration of design, creativity and the built environment, led by The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland.
The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS) was founded in 1916 and is the professional body for chartered architects in Scotland. Including student members, Honorary Fellows and retirees, the Incorporation has over 4,900 members. The RIAS promotes excellence in architecture in Scotland.
Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design is a Scottish Government initiative being led by VisitScotland. 2016 will shine a spotlight on Scotland’s achievements in innovation, architecture and design through a wide-ranging variety of new and existing activity.
Part of Festival of Architecture
Monday to Saturday
10.30am – 5.00pm
12.00pm – 5.00pm
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Liquid Light by Vic Rodrick, First Solo Exhibition, Veneer, Glasgow
- A Day Out, The Lighthouse
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow
- RE:search Glasgow Science Festival
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths
- E. Jane / Hardeep Pandhal Opening GI Festival, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Nnena Kalu, ProjectAbility, Glasgow
- Transatlantic connections – Hunterian exhibition brings Harvard’s historic treasures to Glasgow
- Woodlands Arts Survey & Artist Network Lunch Woodlands Workspace
- Fresh Work Springs Eternal at Thistle Gallery
- Cross-feed Night School with Dr David Luke
- ‘Spring: the music of open windows’ at Thistle Gallery
- Dr Yupin Chung: Tea Under A Willow Tree, Glasgow Art Club
- 150th Anniversary Talks: Joanne Laird & Norman Walker Scotland Street School