Adventures in Space 07 Jul – 02 Oct, 2016 The Lighthouse
Adventures in Space 07 Jul – 02 Oct, 2016
Gallery One, The Lighthouse,11 Mitchell Lane, Glasgow, Scotland G1 3NU
For over a century the progressive architects of the modern world have inspired the creators of science-fiction to speculate about the future. The vivid imagery and the imaginary cities of science-fiction have, in turn, sparked the imaginations of generations of architects.
From the earliest visionaries via the concepts of the Italian Futurists, Le Corbusier’s radiant city, the ‘pulp’ serials of the 1930s, streamlined transportation, the geodesic world of Buckminster Fuller, through the atomic age threat of Armageddon, to computer simulations of the future – join us to Adventure in Space (and time) as we explore the history of architecture in science-fiction through books, films, TV and comics.
Science fiction films exert a powerful grip on the human imagination. This innovative exhibition, curated by Berlin based leading Scots designer, Jon Jardine and The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland will offer insights into the architecture of science fiction. It will compare the ideas of architectural visionaries with startling representations of buildings and cities from the birth of cinema to the present day.
The Festival of Architecture 2016 is a year-long, Scotland-wide celebration of design, creativity and the built environment, led by The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland.
The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS) was founded in 1916 and is the professional body for chartered architects in Scotland. Including student members, Honorary Fellows and retirees, the Incorporation has over 4,900 members. The RIAS promotes excellence in architecture in Scotland.
Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design is a Scottish Government initiative being led by VisitScotland. 2016 will shine a spotlight on Scotland’s achievements in innovation, architecture and design through a wide-ranging variety of new and existing activity.
Part of Festival of Architecture
Monday to Saturday
10.30am – 5.00pm
12.00pm – 5.00pm
- Mind and Draw, The Space, Saturdays
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Caulders Garden Centre 22 – 25 February, 2018
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh: Making the Glasgow Style
- Henry Raeburn’s ‘Boy and Rabbit’ at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- can’t take my eyes off you – ProjectAbility
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Scotland: The Land Beneath Our Feet, ProjectAbility
- The Art of Four, book by Roger Bilcliffe, The Lighthouse
- Chozumaki, The Lighthouse Glasgow
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- ProjectAbility at Mono
- Artchitecture at the Arlington Baths Club, Collage Exhibition by Marion Gardyne, 1 – 17 December, 2017
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Arctic Walruses in Paisley, Art, Poetry, Fountain and Fun, 25 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017