A Celebration of Nina Simone, 21 March, Royal Concert Hall
Saturday 21 March 2015, 7.30pm
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, Strathclyde Suite
In 1990, in a big top tent on Glasgow Green, Nina Simone played a blinding set as part of Mayfest. A young singer called Warren McIntyre was in the audience that night and invited on- stage to dance with her. As a major fan this was a life changing experience and – although a successful songwriter in his own right – 25 years later he is celebrating these songs, at what will be an amazing event for Nina fans.
With help from Belle and Sebastian’s Stevie Jackson as band leader playing guitar and harmonica this is a must see show featuring a selection of top players including maestro: Allen Chalmers (piano), Adam Scott (bass guitar), Heather Wellcoat (violin), Iain Stoddard (drums) John Rooney (guitar) and Therese Martin (harmony vocals).
Warren is keen for this to be an interactive event, however, and if anyone has a special Nina Simone song they would like played on the night, and a dedication made to them or a loved one, they should get in touch by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do You Have a Photogaph of Warren?
Also, on the night that he danced with Nina there were three different people who took a photograph of them dancing together and Warren has always wanted to track down one of these photos.
If you were one of these people, and are willing to share a copy of one of the photos, then you and friend will be given free tickets for the show, a bottle of champagne and be able to meet the band before the show at the sound check.
This section: Gig Guide
Filed under: Gig Guide
- Word Jazzology, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Nathan Bell and Lynnie Carson, Glasgow Americana
- STAGE Multimedia Exhibition
- Gavin Paterson Nova Scotia Folk Club
- The Wellgreen, Stilton, KiDD, West of Scotland Cricket Club
- David Rovics at the Doublet Bar
- Spangled Cabaret October 2018
- Starry Skies Album Launch, OranMor
- Fail Better Open Mic, Villiers & Co
- Jim Byrne, The Basement Jam, Tennent’s Bar, Glasgow
- Fara, OranMor, Glasgow
- Brooks Williams Sounds in the Suburbs, The Doublet
- Seven Song Club, LOOPER and Wholly…..Cats
- Linda Jaxson Band at St Louis Cafe/Bar, Glasgow
- Songs of the Silver Screen, OranMor
- Yvonne Lyon and Eilidh Patterson, The Glad Cafe
- Ethan Johns, Love Music Glasgow
- Women at Carlton Studios, Glasgow, Monthly Event
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, 24 August, 2018
- Word Jazzology, Glasgow 30 August 2018