A Celebration of Nina Simone, 21 March, Royal Concert Hall
Saturday 21 March 2015, 7.30pm
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, Strathclyde Suite
In 1990, in a big top tent on Glasgow Green, Nina Simone played a blinding set as part of Mayfest. A young singer called Warren McIntyre was in the audience that night and invited on- stage to dance with her. As a major fan this was a life changing experience and – although a successful songwriter in his own right – 25 years later he is celebrating these songs, at what will be an amazing event for Nina fans.
With help from Belle and Sebastian’s Stevie Jackson as band leader playing guitar and harmonica this is a must see show featuring a selection of top players including maestro: Allen Chalmers (piano), Adam Scott (bass guitar), Heather Wellcoat (violin), Iain Stoddard (drums) John Rooney (guitar) and Therese Martin (harmony vocals).
Warren is keen for this to be an interactive event, however, and if anyone has a special Nina Simone song they would like played on the night, and a dedication made to them or a loved one, they should get in touch by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do You Have a Photogaph of Warren?
Also, on the night that he danced with Nina there were three different people who took a photograph of them dancing together and Warren has always wanted to track down one of these photos.
If you were one of these people, and are willing to share a copy of one of the photos, then you and friend will be given free tickets for the show, a bottle of champagne and be able to meet the band before the show at the sound check.
This section: Gig Guide
Filed under: Gig Guide
- Dave Arcari, Hug and Pint, Glasgow Saturday 3 March, 2018
- Linda Jaxson Band, St Louis Cafe Bar, Partick Saturday 24 February, 2018
- 45s for 45 All Day Fundraiser, Old Toll Bar, Glasgow
- The Blue Arrow Club – New Home of Jazz in Glasgow
- The Shires, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
- Thank Funk it’s Friday, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Session A9 Celtic Connections 2018 review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
- Summer Nights at Kelvingrove Bandstand 2018
- Paul young with Los Pacaminos, The Venue, OranMor, Glasgow
- Celtic Connections 25th Anniversary Opening Concert, review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
- Seven Song Club The Wellgreen / Secret Goldfish / Cara Rose, The Tron
- Soul Bowl, Jordanhill Bowling Club, 27 January, 2018
- Lisa Kowalski at King Tut’s
- The Primevals, The Reverse Cowgirls and The Kundalini Genie, Seven Song Club
- Lola in Slacks + special guests, CCA
- Spangled Cabaret 10 BirthdayParty, Rio Pop Up
- The Skids and From The Jam Kelvingrove Bandstand 17 June, 2018
- Dona Oxford, OranMor, Glasgow 16 February, 2018
- Celtic Connections 2018 – Highlights from Scots Whay Hae!
- The Friction Burns Supper, Rio Pop Up, Glasgow