A Celebration of Nina Simone, 21 March, Royal Concert Hall
Saturday 21 March 2015, 7.30pm
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, Strathclyde Suite
In 1990, in a big top tent on Glasgow Green, Nina Simone played a blinding set as part of Mayfest. A young singer called Warren McIntyre was in the audience that night and invited on- stage to dance with her. As a major fan this was a life changing experience and – although a successful songwriter in his own right – 25 years later he is celebrating these songs, at what will be an amazing event for Nina fans.
With help from Belle and Sebastian’s Stevie Jackson as band leader playing guitar and harmonica this is a must see show featuring a selection of top players including maestro: Allen Chalmers (piano), Adam Scott (bass guitar), Heather Wellcoat (violin), Iain Stoddard (drums) John Rooney (guitar) and Therese Martin (harmony vocals).
Warren is keen for this to be an interactive event, however, and if anyone has a special Nina Simone song they would like played on the night, and a dedication made to them or a loved one, they should get in touch by e-mail: email@example.com
Do You Have a Photogaph of Warren?
Also, on the night that he danced with Nina there were three different people who took a photograph of them dancing together and Warren has always wanted to track down one of these photos.
If you were one of these people, and are willing to share a copy of one of the photos, then you and friend will be given free tickets for the show, a bottle of champagne and be able to meet the band before the show at the sound check.
This section: Gig Guide
Filed under: Gig Guide
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- Gina Chavez, The Doublet, Sounds in the Suburbs
- Craft Cafe Summer Ball at Pearce Institute
- Songbird – Ellyn Oliver Sings Eva Cassidy, West End Festival 2018
- Lazy Saturday Afternoon, Friends of the River Kelvin at West End Festival
- All Dayer OranMor, West End Festival 2018
- Luca Manning, The Blue Arrow
- Take A Walk On The Weill Side, West End Festival 2018
- Scottish Fiddle Orchestra in Concert, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall September, 2018
- Word Jazzology hosted by Magi Gibson, Babbity Bowsters, Glasgow
- PCL presents Jerron ‘Blind Boy’ Paxton, CCA
- Fiesta x Fold Festival, Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow 2018
- The Luthiers Concert, West End Festival
- Heidi Talbot and John McCusker at Cottiers
- Kittlin at Tchai Ovna
- The Electrics, 30 Anniversary, The Bungalow, Paisley
- The Great May Day Cabaret, Night for Chris Bartter, OranMor
- Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham, Cottiers Theatre, Glasgow
- Tir na nOg, Cottiers Theatre
- The Carlton 3 at Tchai Ovna House of Tea, Glasgow